Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

Fire and Ice
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> 1001 Ardanian Nights
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Falotar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2001 10:45 pm    Post subject: Fire and Ice Reply with quote Back to top

The herald flung open the doors of the throne room.
"May I present Sir Caelcath Silveredge and Sir Silas Radbourne, Warriors; also, the Lady Lana, a Paladin." His voice echoed, for the long hall was empty, save for two chairs at the far end. One was a throne, richly adorned with gold and inlaid with jade and emerald. The other was an ornate chair, made of some precious wood and carved with strange beasts.
"Thank you, Undar; you may leave us," said the man in the throne. He was garbed in a black robe, worn under a green tunic embroidered with gold; he wore the golden Crown of the Grand Dukes. The herald bowed and left, shutting the door behind him. The Duke rose, as did the man beside him. "So! Welcome to Grov-Urtat, and to my Palace!"
"We thank you, Your Grace," said Si. They bowed, and Caelcath added, "I have seldom seen a city so fair."
"I am Westreth IV, Grand Duke of Grov-Urtat - as you probably know. What you may not know is that this man beside me is His Imperial Majesty, Tarfulth VIII the Emperor of D'Tar Mordin, and my new ally."
"Your Imperial Majesty," said the heroes, bowing again.
"With all respect, Your Grace," said Lana impatiently, "Your Majesty, but why are we here? Your herald spoke of a reward - and a task."
"Ah yes. First, the reward. Come here." The three heroes walked up the hall to the two chairs. Westreth bent around, and picked up something that lay by his throne. As they came nearer, they saw it was a shirt of scale mail, a sword within its scabbard, and a cloak.
"These were the prizes for first, second and third place," explained the Duke. "As there was a tie, I shall have them made in triplicate. The mail is made of dragon scales - the most impenetrable substance known, and the shirt was wrought by the best Dwarven-smiths. As was the sword: a mithril blade, stronger than steel and lighter than cloth."
"Pardon, Your Grace," said Caelcath politely, "but my sword is already mithril, and an heirloom."
"Good!" replied Westreth. "Then I shall not have to have two extra blades forged; they are very costly. Finally the cloak: it was woven by Elven Sorcerors, and will protect from all kinds of magic, unless rent."
"These rewards sound like battle gear," said Si shrewdly. "Do they perhaps have anything to do with the 'task' you want us to perform?"
"They do, Sir Warrior," said the Emperor, breaking his silence.
"And the task is-?" asked Lana eagerly.
"Have you heard of the Dragon-cult?" responded the Duke.
"Yes!" shouted Lana; the violence of the reply was startling.
"Well, well! Here is a riddle," said the Dke, half to himself. "Whatever; the task concerns the Cult. I would give you its history, but maybe you know it already?"
"I do not," said Silas.
"Then I will give you it in brief; your friends can tell you the rest. Many years ago, a man named Ellitadhe Prescar came down from the Hellfire Mountains, preaching a new religion. At first the Temples did not know what he spoke of; some of the Solarii thought he had a revelation from Helia, as he spoke of 'cleansing flame'. He came here, to Grov-Urtat, where he preached in the streets. And it became all too clear then what his topic was: dragon-worship. There was a riot, and dragons attacked the city. My father drove them off, but Ellitadhe escaped. We thought that was the end of it, but it was not so. A new type of religious fanatic began raiding the borders of our realm, supported by monsters. Soon my father realized that these men and monsters were the followers of Ellitadhe, who now styled himself High Priest of the Dragon-cult. The wars continued for the rest of my father's life, with Grov-Urtat slowly losing ground. Then nancath died, and I determined to call for foreign aid. My alliance with Tarfulth was one part; the tournament was another. The victors I meant to send on a Quest against Ellitadhe's Temple of Fire and Ice. You are those victors. Will you accept the Quest? I will not force it on you."

Raistlin, Archmagus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2001 9:23 pm    Post subject: Fire and Ice Reply with quote Back to top

Westreth had barley finished his sentence when Lana cried out, "Yes!" There was so much venom in her voice that Silas was taken aback. Lana looked flustered a moment, then said, more quietly, "Your Grace, I have my reasons to fight against Ellitadhe. I would be pleased to track him down in your name, or any other who will send me after him."
"And what, may I ask, are your reasons?" Westreth queried. Lana's face closed.
"You'll forgive me, sir, but those reasons are my own." Si looked curiously at her. He opened his mouth to press the question, but Caelcath nudged him, urging him to be quiet. Silas closed his mouth as Westreth spoke again. The Duke turned to the two warriors.
"And you two? Will you go after him?"
Silas was silent, as was Caelcath. Silveredge was the first to speak.
"I will do this, Your Grace. But pray, how will the three of us be able to overcome Ellitadhe and his dragons?" Si nodded. He saw Lana clench her fists at the High Preits's name.
"A good question. Tarfulth's army and mine will strike a diversionary blow, distracting most of Ellitadhe's forces. First, however, you must track him down."
"I will help," Si said eagerly. "It's an adventure; I'll take it."
Caelcath nodded. "Yes. I will help too."
"Wonderfull! When the rest of your prizes are completed, I bid you to go out, and find this Ellitadhe."
The three bowed. "Yes, Your Grace." they bowed themselves out of the room, each thinking of a plan to find Ellitadhe.

------------------
Raistlin, Archmagus of the hour glass eyes

I will do this. Nothing in my life matters except this. No moment in my life exists except this moment. I am born in this moment, and if I fail, I will die in this moment.- Raistlin Majere

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Raistlin, Archmagus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2001 5:00 pm    Post subject: Fire and Ice Reply with quote Back to top

When they were outside of the Ducal Palace, Silas turned to the other two, and asked if they would like to join him in a free meal.
"Oh, no, I couldn't impose," Lana said vaguley.
"It is nothing, my Lady," Silas replied, grinning. "My father is a lord in Mayhew, and I am one of their best warriors - Not that I'm bragging - and I make a lot of gold. I would be honoured if you two would join me for lunch."
"Well, alright." Lana submitted.
"A pleasure!" replied Caelcath. The three walked into an inn, and seated themselves at a table near the fire. Lana sat in a strange place, half in the shadows, half out. She was gazing into the fire, only half listening to the conversation at the table. It took her a moment to realize that Si was speaking to her.
"What?" she asked.
"I said, why do you hate Ellitadhe so much?"
Lana's face went white, and her lips became tight.
"Do you know what he does for his religon?" she asked them quietly, turning away.
"Not really," Si replied.
"He slaughters people, sacraficing hem. His victems are frozen, then burned. But, they do not die. Ellitadhe uses his magic to keep them alive. He brings them to his "alter", and murders them there. He uses people who do not agree with his religon."
"That's horrible," Caelcath murmered.
"But it still does not answer my question." Silas pressed gently. There was no color in Lana's face now.
"My father opposed him. He's dead, as far as I know."
The warriors were silent. Caelcath looked away, prefering not to comment. Silas' face fell.
"I'm sorry," he said quietly to her. "I did not mean to dredge up unwanted memories."
"It's allright." she replied. Color was returning to her face. "Let's just finish with our meal, eh?" Their supper ended in silence. Lana and Caelcath both thanked Silas for the meal, then went to their seperate inns.
The poor woman, Silas thought as he climbed the stairs of his inn. Her own father...No wonder she hates the Preist.

------------------

I will do this. Nothing in my life matters except this. No moment in my life exists except this moment. I am born in this moment, and if I fail, I will die in this moment.- Raistlin Majere

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Falotar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2001 9:54 pm    Post subject: Fire and Ice Reply with quote Back to top

Chapter III: An Alliance of a Different Nature
Furthlukh shivered in the cold Northern night. He was a Southern goblin, used to the steamy nights of the Valmorgen swamps. Why he had let that odd fellow convince him to journey north, he still did not understand.
Furthlukh, warlord of the Drourlukh Goblins, wileded immense power in his way. He was the recognized overlord of many other tribes, and even goblins who did not explicitly acknowledge his lordship respected him. Perhaps then it was natural for this Ellitadhe to seek him out. However, that did not mean Furthlukh liked to be so sought out, and certainly not by such a messenger.
Treserryn, the messenger had named himself. He was a tall man swathed in a green cloak. He said he bore a summons from the High Priest Ellitadhe of the Dragon-cult. That sounded suffieciently impressive, so the Warlord passed over being "summoned". The man had unnerved him, though. Never once did he take off that cloak, and now that he thought about it, Furthlukh could not remember seeing his face.
"Why in Grum-gog's name am I 'ere?" he asked the stars. He watcvhed his misted breath drift up before his face.
"Kepten! Kepten!" shouted the sentry at the gates of the camp. "Oi se' li'ts!"
Goblins scurried for the entrance, but Furthlukh pushed his way through with his greater strength. There he saw the valley ahead covered with points of light, as if the stars had settled to the earth. Stars indeed, for these seemed just as cold and unworldly as the torches of the heavens.
He perceived that the tide of light was slowly progressing towards the camp. Suddenly the main body stopped and thrust out a slender tentacle of cold luminescence. This tentacle broke away, coming on much more rapidly. The goblins held their breath, and over the night, wierd chanting reached them.

"Tas atho at tas liasda
Khartoth aith trastiyaa!
Tas azom ractes-moroth
Ais trex jydath thrastiyaa!

Ellitadhe! Ellitadhe at Anquirial!
Anquirial! Anquirial at Ellitadhe!"

"By all that is unholy!" said a wizened goblin priest next to Furthlukh. He laughed harshly, though he throat tightened.
"You've just about got it right," he croaked.
The chanting swelled and plunged; it climbed the scales of sharps and spiraled through discordant keys. Then it went in to one grand crescendo - and ceased. The goblins blinked, for, caught up in the chant, they had not seen the torches drawing close.
"Hail Warlord!" said a voice which echoed oddly from the mouth which spoke the words. Four men came out of the press of robed people that stood before the camp. The foremost was a tall man, grey-robed; with a sword thrust through a sash of patterned green and blue. Beside him and slightly behind stood a man in a familiar green cloak. This man held a torch, and he it was who had spoken. Behind them both were two men in black robes, with cowls drawn up around their faces and leaning on emerald-topped staffs.
"'Ail Treserryn!" replied Furthlukh. "And 'ail Ellitadhe! I assume you are the 'Igh Priest your messenger 'ere spoke of?"
"I am," said the grey man in a rich voice. "Blessed be you! For you see him who will one day lead Ardania under the sheltering wings of the Dragons!"
"Mras or Ractoth," murmured the black men behind them.
"Ur, uh," stammered the Warlord, feeling nervous as he had never thought to feel before those intense eyes. "What did you summon me for, Ellitadhe?"
"Do you question the High Priest?" asked Treserryn in his twisted voice, and swung the torch lower, toward the goblin Warlord. Furthlukh opened his mouth to answer, and nearly swallowed his tongue. Although the fire seemed close enough to burn him, he felt rather a piercing chill, and it gave no smoke.
"What sorcery is in those lights?" he gasped.
"Fire and ice," answered Ellitadhe with a kindly smile. "I am sure Treserryn meant you no harm. He is over-zealous of my safety." The Warlord was oddly comforted by the words, and felt himself relaxing. "Come," Ellitadhe continued, "let us go into your camp. I will stay the night here, and we shall discuss many matters. Tomorrow, perhaps, we can go up to the Temple, and there you will see the glorious future of these lands."

Raistlin, Archmagus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2001 10:51 pm    Post subject: Fire and Ice Reply with quote Back to top

For hours, Lana lay in her bed, her senses reeling. She shifted more times then are countable. Finally, she stood, and sat in the window seat, looking far out into the night's darkness. Something in the back of her head tingled. Ever since she was young, she had felt the strange pulling whenever something bad was happening. As she grew older, the sense had grown stronger. Mindlessley, she pulled at her ear. It was a habit she had developed as a child whenever she felt the strange pull. She felt a sudden chill as she gazed out. There was a flicker of light, but no smoke surrounded it.
What sorcery is in those lights? A voice echoed in her mind. The voice was ruff, goblinish. Lana looked hard outward, willing something to appear.
Fire and ice. Lana froze. She recognized the voice, but could not place it. She knew that it had something to do with her father. The voice sounded calm, comforting, but it brought nothing like comfort to Lana. Her skin crawled, and a memory flashed in her mind's eye.
She was five, standing huddled in their old home as dragons filled the sky. Homes burned and froze around them. The ground shook as a huge dragon landed, right outside their home. People in black robes rushed in, and grabed her father, pulling him outside. The people mounted their dragon as the large lizard clamped it's claws around Lana's dad.
"Father!" she wailed as the dragon took off. The last thing she ever remembered him saying was, "Hide! Hide, Daughter!"

Lana looked away as her eyes filled. Brushing them with her hands, she climbed back into bed, suddenly tired.
Father... was the last thing she thought before falling to sleep.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Raistlin, Archmagus (edited 15 December 2001).]

Falotar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2001 7:53 pm    Post subject: Fire and Ice Reply with quote Back to top

And now," concluded Ellitadhe, "as we have affixed our signatures to this treaty of alliance, let it be sealed."
"Sealed in fire and ice," intoned the Clerics. They stretched their staffs over the parchment, and from one a flame leaped down upon the paper, and a misty frost fell from the other.
"Now that is finished," said Ellitadhe, rising, "let us go up to the Temple." He led the Warlord out of the camp.
But the Tribe of Drourlukh were not the only folk that joined the High Priest that down; Gorgon-captains from the Serpent Queen's shattered army, and leaders of monitaurs, and chiefs of troll-clans also signed the treaties sealed in fire and ice.

Chapter IV: New Companions
Caelcath awoke early that morning from a sleep which was, at any rate for him, refreshing. He arose, washed and dressed himself, and donned his armour. He buckled on his sword, then went out to see what they served for breakfast at The Vine's Gift. But he had not gone far down the hall before a heavy hand deescended on his shoulder.
"I think," said a rough voice, "that we have met before." Caelcath turned in surprise, and looked up at the Barbarian he had defeated in the Duke's tournament.
"So we have," he said cautiously, "and I hope you bear me no ill feelings."
"No indeed!" said the Barbarian, and suddenly laughed so that the windows quaked. "No indeed. But I noted that you went to His Grace's Palace, and my brother was curious when I told him."
"Your brother?"
"Oh! I've forgotten him!" The huge man stood aside, and Caelcath saw that behind him stood a Ranger - tall, by ordinary standards, but dwarfed by his brother. The Ranger bowed low, and introduced himself.
"I am Sylves Redwater, and since my untutored sibling here neglected to give his name; I will: he is Grath Redwater. We are both from Ravenswood, away south. Who who are you, valiant Warrior and favourite of the Grand Duke?"
"Surely the heralds gave my name?"
"Did they? But, then, Grath has a poor memory, and I was not attending to the melee, having my own prize to win."
"Ah! Then let me introduce myself as Sir Caelcath Silveredge, of Castle Silveredge, also away south."
"Glad to meet you, Sir Silveredge," said the Ranger, and extended his hand. Caelcath clasped it warmly. "Would I be wrong in guessing that you are part of that town's noble family?"
"Apart from being a Silveredge," interjected Grath, "which some might account nobility enough."
"Correct on both counts," said Caelcath chuckling, "but I am not in direct inheritance. Baron Daethon is my uncle. Now then, introductions are hungry work. Shall we eat?"
"Of course!" said Grath.
"I must warn you, I have two other companions, one of whom is a Paladin. She may not be best pleased that a Barbarian should join our fellowship."
"We'll see," said Sylves lightly.

Raistlin, Archmagus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2001 10:46 pm    Post subject: Fire and Ice Reply with quote Back to top

Lana woke that morning, feeling the exact opposite of Caelcath; she felt completley worn, and the exileration of the tournament had begun to die down. Her arms ached slightly where she had strained to keep off the other paladin. The ache and memories made her very grouchy, which was a rare mood for her. Most unlike other paladins, she was normally quite polite to other people. But, when she was grouchy...you'd do best to stay out of the way.
She dressed quickly, and went to the kitchens of the inn she was staying at, The Red Phoenix. As she walked in, she changed her mind after a glance at the doors. Silas stood there, waiting for her. She walked over, and he spoke, so annoingly perky.
"Morning! I was thinking perhaps we could have breakfast...Find Caelcath, if we can. Perhaps talk about- about our plans" He was going to say "Ellitadhe" but decided, that it would be a kind gesture not to.
"Very well." Lana grumbled. They walked out into the bright sunshine. Si pointed to an inn farther in the distance.
"I beleive that's where he's staying, The Vine's Gift. Let's head over, shall we?" Instead of answering, Lana started walking, her hand rested on her sword hilt, grumbling about annoying people in the early morning. The two walked in, and looked around.
"Hey, there he is!" Silas pointed to Caelcath, then stopped speaking and looked curiously at his companions.
"A barbarian and a ranger. Some more company!"
"Barbarian? A barbarian? Lovely. Just lovely." Lana muttered.
"Oh, come on!" They walked over to the other three heroes.
"Ah, there you are. I had been hoping you would join us!" Caelcath stated brightly.
"I would like you to meet my new friends, Sylvas and Grath Redwater. Sylvas, Grath, this is-"
"Sir Silas Radbourne of Mayhew," Silas introduced himself. Sylvas looked to Lana. She wasn't quite inclined to introduce herself to a ranger, let alone a barbarian. Grath, however, held out his hand.
"I'm Grath," he said politley. Lana closed her eyes breifly, and after a moment of hesitation, Lana shook his hand.
"Lana Isadore." she said pointedly.
"Of?" Sylvas asked politley.
Lana glared shrewdly at him.
"Of a place long forgotten. Even I can barley recall it's name."
"Erm..." Caelcath murmered. "Well, perhaps we could talk over breakfast...yes..."
"Very well." Lana sat down, the others following suite.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Raistlin, Archmagus (edited 18 December 2001).]

Raistlin, Archmagus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2001 4:46 pm    Post subject: Fire and Ice Reply with quote Back to top

As Lana, Silas, Caelcath, Grath, and Sylves sat, a woman at a table near theirs turned, pricking slightly pointed ears. A merlin hawk flew through the open window, and though it soared silently, all heads turned toward it. The tiny bird glided in circles for a while, seemingly looking. The woman, who was by name Lady Aiden of the Wise, stood gracefully. She looked up at the hawk, and issued a low sort of screech. The bird folded it's wings and dropped, landing gently on Aiden's shoulder. She turned to the heroes, smiling apoligeticaly.
"I am sorry if my friend disturbed you. Reed was merley coming to my call."
"Excuse me, Lady, but I heard you make no sound." Silas said with a smile.
"Reed? What a curious name!" Caelcath exclaimed.
A smile pulled at Aiden's lips. Turning to Si, she explained,
"My merlin and I share a mind; a phsycic connection, if you will." She turned to Caelcath. "As to his name, I found Reed with a broken wing, at the edge of a lake. He had surrounded himself with reeds, sheilding himself. We have never been apart since the time I nursed him back to health."
"If you could have called him phsicicly, then why'd you make such a racket and screech like that?" Lana asked, rather grumpy. Aiden smiled again.
"Not much of a morning person, I see. It is...fun to speak phisically with him. After all, it took my people many years to master a bond with animals; why not use that bond?"
"Who, may I ask, are your people?" Sylves asked her. The look on Aiden's face became distant.
"We are from far off. My people are shapshifters. As I said before, we share speacil bonds with animals. My people are a people of nature." Her face clouded over. "But our life is being disrupted by the Dragon-Cult. High Preist Ellitadhe has sent dragons to destroy our homes. I was sent to help stop him. Would you know of anyone to help me?"
"As a matter of fact," Lana said, her teeth clenched tight. "We were just about to tell the barbarian and ranger about our adventure."
"Ah, so Ellitadhe is who you're after," Sylves said quietly.
"Yes," Silas said with a quick glance at Lana. "He is who we're after."
"I think," Caelcath said quietly. "That some of us should explain exactly why we have agreed to go after this Preist." Silas looked from Lana to Aiden.
"Yes, perhaps we should."
"Very well." Lana and Aiden said it at the same time. They glanced at eachother, then looked back toward the others.
"I will tell them first, if you don't mind," Lana said to Aiden.
"By all means, go ahead."
Lana made herself comfortable, then began.

------------------

Raistlin, Archmagus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2001 9:24 pm    Post subject: Fire and Ice Reply with quote Back to top

"Thirteen years ago, when I was five, dragons raided our village. Houses burned and froze left and right. Our house was spared though. The ground shook as a large dragon landing outside our home. My father grabbed me and threw me into a corner, behind a chair. He was not able to hide himself in time, though. Black-robed men broke our door down, and grabbed my father. They dragged him outside, him kicking and yelling the whole way. When the men left, I ran to the door as the dragon took off. My father was clutched in it's gigantic claws. I ran after them, screaming 'Father, Father, come back!'. The surviving villigers held me back though. I dropped to my knees, screaming and crying. The poor people who hadn't lived through the attack were horific. They were burned to death, leaving behind only cinders. Others were frozen, the faces immobilized in a look of horrific pain. I left the village when I was only a year older. I kept my father's sword at my side, learning the art of swordplay by teaching myself. I could no longer bear to - to see people's ashes and frozen images..." She stopped as she choked on a sob. She held a hand to her face, trying to hide her tears. She took a moment to get herself under control. Her face had hardened, but her lip trembled still.
"All this was done in the name of Ellitadhe. My father is gone, or worse, dead, thanks to him. My mother died when I was borne. My father was my only family. Now I have no one. I will never see him again."
Everyone was silent. Lana turned away, blinking her eyes furiously.
She felt someone move close to her. "It's all right," Silas told her quietly. "It'll be okay, we'll make him pay, it's all right..." Tears ran down Lana's face, falling into her hair. Hesitantly, Aiden touched the paladin's arm, trying to comfort her.
"I know how you feel," she whispered.
After a moment Lana had calmed herself. The party turned to Aiden. She took a deep breath and began.
"My story is much the same. I lived with my animals, at my home. My brother and sister lived there as well. I was the middle child; My brother was older, my sister younger.Ellitadhe invaded our beloved land. Houses were raided and tazed. My brother, sister and I were captured We rode upon a dragon, tied in thick ropes. I said before that my people were shapeshifters. We can become most anything; a plant, a light, anything. Except animals; our bond with them lets us transform into only one. My form is a merlin. That is why Reed is here. He saved me, actually. He flew by us, and I thought to change. I told my brother and sister to change, then did so myself. I had forgotten their animals though. My sister's was a land animal. She had no wings, and was crushed when she fell away from the dragon. My brother had wings; sadly, he chose to fly the wrong way, and cut across the dragons vision. It burned him to ash. I alone was able - to - get away..." she stoped and looked away, trying to master her emotions. Turning back, she said, "I flew as fast as I could, Reed by my side. I didn't stop until I heard about Ellitadhe. I came here. I heard about the tournement, but decided not to enter. I wanted to see who would win first. Now I see you have. I wish to join you on your quest."
The heroes were silent, then Grath said, "So we're going after Ellitadhe? Will it be hard?"
"Extremly," said Caelcath.
"I'm ready!" Grath exclaimed.
"Calm yourself, Brother," Sylvas said. "Yes, if you do not mind, we would be quite willing to join your quest as well."
"Of course!" Si said. "Now that I hear this, I think we will need all the help we can get."
"Beleive me, we will." Aiden said quietly.
"Yes. We will." Lana agreed.
"We should find a way to get to Ellitadhe. It will be hard enough with a plan. Imagine finding him without one!"

------------------

Falotar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 10:01 pm    Post subject: Fire and Ice Reply with quote Back to top

Any further conversation was cut off at that point by a rather loud scream, followed by several more, outside the inn. Then a loud, strident voice asserted itself over the sudden tumult in the street.
"Peace, brethren! Peace! I mean you no harm, unless you resist my holy mission!"
"What the deuce is it?" said Caelcath, striding to a window, and closely followed by the othrs. There, oput in the centre of the stret, lay a huge Ice Dragon. Atop this colossal figure was a man, robed and cowled in blue.
Lana turned deadly white. Aiden backed awy from the window.
"It looks like we might not have to search for him after all," said Grath.
"No," Lana choked, "That is not, not him."
"But I have seen him before," whimpered Aiden.
"I tell you that a glorious future awaits all who follow the inspired wisdom of the High Priest!" The man was speaking to the crowds of people in the street, too paralyzed to escape. "All those who oppose his beneficial order, they shall be swept away by the cleasing fires, the pure ice, of the Dragon! I am Ferithral, and I bring the wisdom of Ellitadhe to you!"
At the hated name, a sudden change came over Lana, Paladin of Dauros. She howled with rage, and leapt straight through the latticed window; screaming toward the leviathan.
"After her!" cried Caelcath, but Grath had already leaped after her, and Sylves was notching an arrow to his bow.
The scream and the sound of shattering wood drew the dragon-riders attention. "Behold!" he cried, pointing dramatically at the onrushing Paladin, "behold the fate of those who pit themselves against the High Priest!"

Son of the Dragon King

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 11:22 pm    Post subject: Fire and Ice Reply with quote Back to top

A cloaked figure sat in the inn, his faced hidden by the hood of his robe. He was taller than any man, muscles that made even a warrior of discord look weak, and piercing eyes. He was Hakim the Dragonhearted. Clothed in green he looked around there infront of him stood an Ice dragon. The fanges pearly white, and the eyes in a crystal blue.
His face grew hot with rage, keeping himself in check "You know, Using dragons to attack humans is a cowardly act." he said stirring the ale in his mug.
"You dare mock me?" the priest hissed glaring at the stranger. "Who are you?"
The figure stepped up, his head almost touching a lamp. "I am a traveling warrior, skilled in the arts of magic and the sword, the last of my kind. I am Hakim." he said."I tell you what, I suggest we fight, if I lose you may do what you wish top the lady and me. If you lose however, you release her and leave the inn, and stop bothering us."
The priest smiled, "A challenge?" he said with an amusing grin. "I like that, you must be very stupid to challenge me or very brave. I accept."
"Very well". he said. removing his sword,"hand to hand."
The crowd moved back, giving room for the two to fight. "Let's begin" the priest smiled swinging at the stranger. Hakim dodged the swing and grabbed the priest's cloak and threw him across the inn, smacking him against the wall. The riest got up, gagging. he thrust a left hook right back at him, catching his cloak. The stranger didn't realize the problem and threw the priest onto a table. There was a rip, and the cloak of the stranger unvieled his secret. "A Drakon!" one of the observers said. Hakim knew he had to end the duel quicl, so he picked up the priest, his feet three feet of the groung. "Do you give up? Or shall I finish you?" He growled, his fangs showing. The priest, terrified, shook his head as if to say yes. "Then release the Lass and begone he said tossing him out the door."
"Let her go!" The priest ordered his dragon, as he mounted. "This isn't over." He hissed as he left. The Drakon knelt over the Paladin, She was ok, just in shock. "Get him!" a warrior shouted, drawing hs sword. "No, wait!" He shouted. "I'm not evil!" The men kept coming. He dodged the first blow and flew on the roof. "Listen to me!" Why would I attempt to spare a paladin's life if I was in league with the Dragons?" The others looked around muttering amongst themselves. "I may look like a dragon, but I'm not one of them." He said, slowly fluttering down. "I am only a lone adventurer, who is the last of his tribe."
"I beg you not to attack, not for my safety, but for yours." He said. The others sheathed thier weapons, as he left for his cloak and sword. "My loyalty was and is towards Dauros, the god of Law."

Falotar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 3:10 am    Post subject: Fire and Ice Reply with quote Back to top

"Drakon, Drakon," muttered Ferithral to himself. "I had thought them just a legend. No matter. But if the gods think to hinder us by throwing half-dragons at us, and thus confuse the simple masses - well, the best way is to fight fire with fire."
He looked down in scorn at the city. Rich, powerful, it embodied the things which the ascetic Dragon-cult priest hated. He knew, however, that Ellitadhe was merciful. He would give those fools a chance to repent, ere they were swept away on the cleansing tides.
Ferithral spoke to his dragonb, requesting that he return to the Temple. The ice drake flipped his wings, sending them skimming south from the updraft.
Maybe, he mused to himself, I myself can volunteer for the new Ritual. The pain will be welcome as a test of my faith, and Treserryn has proved that the lasting effects are far from debilitating. Ellitadhe will surely agree to allow it once he knows of this new opposition - maybe it will even become part of the worship ceremony.
The priest smiled as he fantasized about his proposal to formally institute the Ritual and the consequences it would have. Most of his wishes would be granted - much to the world's woe.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> 1001 Ardanian Nights All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: