Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

About "Tholarian Dreams"
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> 1001 Ardanian Nights
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sorotor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wizards aren't fencers. They're frail, senile old men who've spent half of their lives reading incomprehensible books. When are they supposed to learn martial arts, much less become proficient in them? Ardanian Wizards are just not cut out for hand to hand combat.

Cooker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

*talented* wizard needs to spend less time learning magic. They could learn hand to hand fighting or archery if so they wished.

Sorotor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

In preference, I suppose, to learning more powerful spells.
Let me put it this way. The heroes in Majesty represent the "archetype" or average of their class. Hence, most Wizards are elderly. Why should that be so? Because Ardanian Wizardry is not something you learn in a week's time. Let's say the average Wizard, entering a Guild at age ten, has to spend forty years of study and practice in order to become proficient (level 1). He will be fifty when he's finally ready to take on the full power and responsibility of a Wizard. Now, true, there will be those especially adept folk who can master Wizardry with greater ease; say the best can shave off twenty years and become full-fledged Wizards at thirty. Then, say, there's the truly rare individual (with divine blood or something else of like nature) who can master Wizardry in his youth. This last could, indeed, turn to martial arts, whether swordsmanship, archery, or what have you. A thirty-year-old, however, is unlikely to suddenly decide "Hey, let's be a master fencer!" after spending his youth pursuing magical studies. As for the average, fifty-year-old Wizard; why, even if he wanted to he could never get very could at physical combat. Wizardry is taxing on the brain, not the body. After fifty years of sedentary living, he's not going to have the endurance necessary for true top-quality fighting.
All this, of course, is based on the idea that wizardry requires intensive study in order to master. But then, that is what is implied in the game, and what makes sense in the context. Otherwise, why have such classes as Warriors, Paladins, or WoDs? Why even have City Guards, when these nifty Wizards can do all your fighting for you?

Cooker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yes such individual should be rare, but they could exist. For example, it would take most people their entire lifetime to master physics; however Einstein is also known for his skill at music.

Melee training is considerably simpler then magic. So a talented wizard could without a doubt train it in his spare time. Such individual should be accomplished in magic and is skilled in combat at age around 25, if he started at 5 rather then 10.

Obviously such geniuses are far and in between, however the combined power of magic and martial prowess could be a serious problem to any who oppose them. (Look at the top wizards in HOA Very Happy)

Will the Spellcaster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

*blink*
Einstien was good at music?
*blink*
never heard anything like that before...
Oh well. We all learn something every day, I guess. :D

Anyways, I wouldn't necessarily say that magic is harder to learn than swordplay. In the long run, perhaps, but saying that Warriors are skilled in swordplay is like saying that the people who make fire balm potions to sell in the Bazaar are good at magic (and yes, I know, potion-making is entirely seperate from magic, but I couldn't think of anything else to compare it to). While yes, some Warriors are quite good at swordplay, it is the ones such as the Legendary Swordsman (if you pardon my refferal to a person within a story in progress) who are the equivelent of those Wizards who know such spells as Meteor Storm and beyond. Teleporting over great distances takes much skill, you know, as does waving around a giant meat cleaver for 30 minutes and not cutting your limbs off.
:mrgreen:

And martial arts are just as hard, if not harder, than swordplay to learn. There are usually people who have talent at martial arts and as such learnsome basic spells to enchance their fighting, and vice versa. then tehre's those (such as Monks) who are usually trained duelly, or with both combat types in mind. Yes, monk spells areall defensive, but there would be those who have offensive spells as well in the real Ardanian world (such as the Solarus). And of coarse the great library spell Power Shock comes into play wherever the wizards are found.

Sorotor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Swordplay is a martial art. Technically, martial arts are anything that has to do with fighting, whether it is bare-handed, swordsmanship (fencing), archery, horsemanship, or ... whatever. I'm sure sure about this, but "martial arts" might even extend to strategy and tactics.
The reason I say that Wizards have to study magic exclusively for long periods of time is that the average Wizard is old, and not proficient in anythig other than his art (or science, as some may prefer it). This applies only to Wizards; Sorcerors seem to be younger, perhaps because sorcery is more intuitive and easier to pick up. As for brewing potions, that could take different levels of expertise. If the instructions are plainly printed and the ingredients handy, anybody could mix them. On the other hand, experimenting with magical substances to create new potions is a different matter, and likely not only difficult but dangerous as well.

Cooker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I agree, that Average wizard is not proficient with anything else. If you look at HOA, that is indeed the case, most of wizards are indeed between L1 and L20 and has no parry, dodge or H2H. However there has being a small number of highly dangerous power-mages that can kill everything and then some.

A good way to remove uberwizards from the sense during the siege is sending them all out of town. You know that power-mages donít spend much time in town, they would be either out in the catacombs hunting phantoms or in the fairgrounds blasting other heroes away. Thatís how they get so absurdly powerful in the first place.

Had HOA being up we can actually check status on some power-mages. I remembered one of them to be carrying hundreds of wands of lighting storm. Mine had a staff of spite +3. Only A dwarf with all blessings could defeat him.

Those wasnít the worst, by far, there was a level 200 somewhere on HOA, he could like, take on everyone else, at the same time. He also has next to infinite number of resurrection enchantment and healing aid, just not something you want to run into at the wrong place and wrong time.

Either way, I am really looking forward to more of the story. Letting it getting blocked by minor details is not worth it.

Sorotor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I came to that conclusion too. Arguing -- er, discussion -- is fun, but not as fun as writing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> 1001 Ardanian Nights All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: