Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com


Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Books
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Will the Spellcaster



Joined: 29 Apr 2002
Posts: 499
Location: Somewhere that I teleported too...

 PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmm. Good point, Twy. Some might say the House makes all the diference, but I don't know...
_________________
WizKid
 
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
wavefront



Joined: 16 Oct 2001
Posts: 1847
Location: East of the Sun & West of the Moon

 PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Twylah Skye wrote:
I think it's intriguing that Snape seems so protective of a young man who, in almost every aspect, mirrors James Potter when he was a student at Hogwarts.... has anyone else noticed this? Draco is a bully and hangs with a gang of followers. As did James Potter. And yet, Snape protects him and favors him, even though he suffered at the hands of just such a boy in his youth.

- Twylah


I'm not really surprised that Snape supports Draco.

First, both are Slytherins. It seems to be a house trait that they stick together more than other houses. That's probably one of the things the sorting hat looks for in new Slytherins.
Second, victims of abusive behavior often grow up and act out the same behavior. Snape probably doesn't mind bullies so much when he is on the other side of the fence.
Third, it's James' son (and his friends) we are talking about. The book doesn't go in to great detail how he treats bullies who act against other people. I think he might give Draco special consideration because he doesn't like Harry (whom he thinks is just like his old man).
Fourth Draco is clever enough to come to Snape whenever Harry and his gang stand up to Malfoy. Malfoy no doubt paint himself as the victim of Harry's bullying, which Snape is eager to believe.

I think that Snape and Harry might have had more common ground if Harry had been sorted in to Slytherin House as the hat suggested in the first book. Snape might have been more inclined to give a new Slytherin a break and then come to realize the Harry wasn't as arrogant as his father. Eventually, they might have establish a more cordial relationship.
_________________
"Hey, it's good to be the King"
- Mel Brooks History of the World Part I
 
View user's profile Send private message
M



Joined: 10 Mar 2003
Posts: 421
Location: Right here

 PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I would find it *extreMely* interesting if someone could write a good parody/rewrite of Harry Potter in which he is sorted into Slytherin, and becoMes, as has been suggested several tiMes, a powerful Dark Wizard...
_________________
Broken Records: The Day of Reckoning.
Tied Records: Hold Off The Goblin Hordes, The Fertile Plain, The Forsaken Land, The Bell The Book And The Candle, Deal with The DeMon, Free the Slaves.
Total TiMe: 200 Days.


Last edited by M on Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
 
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Twylah Skye



Joined: 08 Jul 2000
Posts: 2374
Location: Plano, TX USA

 PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm re-reading the book for the third time, after having re-read the entire series prior to HP&THBP. I've noticed a couple of things....

1) Why can house elves apparate and disapparate within Hogwarts, while no one else can? Dobby and Kreacher apparate and disapparate in the Gryffindor common room when giving their report to Harry on Malfoy's activities. Afterward, Ron notes that he wishes he could disapparate inside the school like the house elves.

2) When LV visits the Gaunt House and meets Morfin, he leaves for the Riddle home and uses Avada Kedavra against his father and grandparents using Morfin's wand. At this time, he is underage. When HP questions why the Ministry didn't detect LV's use of magic to modify Morfin's memory of the events of that night, AD tells him that the magic was done in a wizarding home and, because of that, did not alert the Ministry to the use of underage magic.... but how did LV get away with using the Avada Kedavra curse THREE TIMES in a non-wizarding home without the Ministry being alerted at once???

3) AD and SS argue midway through the book and Hagrid tells HP that Snape is saying that he "doesn't want to do this anymore." The intended implication is that Snape is not wanting to continue to badger Malfoy about his mission... but I'm thinking that the referral was actually to something much deeper - like the events at the end of the book. That whole incident just seems too convenient.

- Twy.... pondering....
_________________
"She who wields the skillet rules the world." ~ The Forum Mommy
 
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
M



Joined: 10 Mar 2003
Posts: 421
Location: Right here

 PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

1) I think the innate house-elf Magic that prevents theM froM disobeying overrides the enchantMents on the school, which are More superficial.

2) Voldemort is very canny. Maybe he used an aging potion. Razz Well, it seeMs that Harry doesn't spot everything. Dumbledore would have had to explain the reason if Harry had asked, no doubt, but he conveniently didn't.

3) I can't find this incident.
_________________
Broken Records: The Day of Reckoning.
Tied Records: Hold Off The Goblin Hordes, The Fertile Plain, The Forsaken Land, The Bell The Book And The Candle, Deal with The DeMon, Free the Slaves.
Total TiMe: 200 Days.
 
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Twylah Skye



Joined: 08 Jul 2000
Posts: 2374
Location: Plano, TX USA

 PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

M wrote:
3) I can't find this incident.


After Ron is accidentally poisoned in Slughorn's office, HP and HG are leaving the hospital wing with Hagrid. He mentions the argument at that point and HP drags the details out of him.

- Twy
_________________
"She who wields the skillet rules the world." ~ The Forum Mommy
 
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Twylah Skye



Joined: 08 Jul 2000
Posts: 2374
Location: Plano, TX USA

 PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

M wrote:
1) I think the innate house-elf Magic that prevents theM froM disobeying overrides the enchantMents on the school, which are More superficial.


I disagree totally. Apparition is apparition is apparition. It's an action, not a form of magic, enchantment or incantation. If you can't apparate/disapparate within Hogwarts... you CAN'T.

M wrote:
2) Voldemort is very canny. Maybe he used an aging potion. Razz Well, it seeMs that Harry doesn't spot everything. Dumbledore would have had to explain the reason if Harry had asked, no doubt, but he conveniently didn't.


I assume you're joking about the aging potion. I'm looking for serious discussion on the book... not smart-alecky comments and jokes, please.

Thanks,
Twy
_________________
"She who wields the skillet rules the world." ~ The Forum Mommy
 
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
M



Joined: 10 Mar 2003
Posts: 421
Location: Right here

 PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Twylah Skye wrote:
I disagree totally. Apparition is apparition is apparition. It's an action, not a form of magic, enchantment or incantation. If you can't apparate/disapparate within Hogwarts... you CAN'T.

SiMilarly, a house-elf CAN'T disobey orders.

Of course, there's also the More likely possibility that the house-elves' forM of transport is not technically apparation.

Twylah Skye wrote:
I assume you're joking about the aging potion. I'm looking for serious discussion on the book... not smart-alecky comments and jokes, please.

One never knows if the Ministry's MechanisMs could be fooled by an aging potion. IIRC it doesn't actually say anywhere what they do to recognize underage Magic beyond the fact that they don't pay attention to its use in locations where Magic is used correctly, i.e. wizarding hoMes and public buildings.
_________________
Broken Records: The Day of Reckoning.
Tied Records: Hold Off The Goblin Hordes, The Fertile Plain, The Forsaken Land, The Bell The Book And The Candle, Deal with The DeMon, Free the Slaves.
Total TiMe: 200 Days.
 
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum