Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

HUGE Majest Gold Installation Problem on Xp

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Majesty Technical Assistance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blueman203

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:33 am    Post subject: HUGE Majest Gold Installation Problem on Xp Reply with quote Back to top

Ok I have played this game before and never had any trouble with it. But I took a break from it and uninstalled it. Then got a hankerin to play it again. So I try to install it on this XP computer and its goin fine, but it stops right in the middle of the instalation so I cancled it to try again on a lower quality instalation. Then it says that it's detected an installation already on the computer or something. So I'm like ok and go to add remove programs. Sure enough there it is. One of those Instalation icon things with the name Majesty - Gold next to it. So I try to remove it. Yea it worked...only it was still on the list. What!?! try again, again, again, nothing! Try to install Majesty again and a message pops up telling me if I want to uninstall the application and all of its components with the choices of ok or cancel. Yea I do! It works and I try to install again and the same exact thing happens. Why won't it get off my computer! PLEASE HELP ME IM GOIN CRAZY! I also tried to install on a seperate computer, a windows, and it says im missing a file, cabin3.d or something. If someone has a solution to either of these "problems", it would be humbly and greatly appreciated. Signed confused.

wavefront

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I don't have the exact details, but there is probably a registry item that was added to the Windows registry and has not been removed. If all the program files have been removed, search the registry for a Majesty item.

Warning: Before making any changes to the Windows registry it's a very, very good idea to back it up first (just in case).

blueman203

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Been there, done that.. Reply with quote Back to top

Um yea, I was up all night looking for all thelittle hidden files on my computer about majesty, and I found them. I deleted them but Im not sure that was my problem because the game still wouldnt let me install it it keeps on asking me to remove it. There is only one trace of itl left when i go to remove programs. It says majesty - Gold, and there is one of those install icons. Im guessing thats what isnt leaving. I try and try but its still there like a little kid that wont leave you alone. Isnt there a feature on XP that lets you take how your computer back to how it was at a certain date? Like you can set it back? Ive seen my sister do it before but I never asked how. Any suggestions?

wavefront

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Been there, done that.. Reply with quote Back to top

blueman203 wrote:
Isnt there a feature on XP that lets you take how your computer back to how it was at a certain date? Like you can set it back? Ive seen my sister do it before but I never asked how. Any suggestions?

That would be an option, but I have never used it myself.

I'm not a Microsoft certified tech, but I'm guessing that in your Windows registery is a group that list all the installed programs. I'd further guess that within that group is a entry for Majesty (even though all the Majesty program files were removed manually).
I do know that one of the first things a install program does, is check for a previously installed version. Since the Windows registry still has a listing for Majesty, the install program thinks that Majesty is still around. But when you try to uninstall it there is nothing to uninstall (since everything was deleted manually). So either try the XP "rollback" feature, or check the registry for a listing that indicates Majesty is installed.

Alberinian Wildmaster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

..........Or you could try to restart your computer (if you have not done that already) which *might* get rid of the icon on the Add/Remove programs list. Or you could do a search and type in Majesty.

blueman203

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: no no no.. Reply with quote Back to top

I dont think you guys are understanding my problem here. When I go to add remove programs Ive found it there it is URECKA! But the problem is how to get rid of it, why wont it leave. I dont think I have problems finding the file its just ..what do I do... Maybe someone has XP and knows a way to wipe the hard drive where its saved and burn everything there and keep the stuff you want. I know theres I way to do it there has to be! Still waiting....and what is this registry you keep talking about?

Apple

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Not exactly sure what registry is but the fix is to use regedit.exe to remove Maj-related stuff in the registry.

The regedit.exe fix is described towards the end of this topic:

http://www.cyberlore.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5552

blueman203

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: you still dont get it.. Reply with quote Back to top

Ive done that ive used regedit and found all the programs but there is still one left when i go to add or remove programs but its not disappearing. Im wondering if theres a way so you can like wipe the hard drive clean of everything saved and keep the stuff u want and save it on a disk
Still waiting....

wavefront

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The registry is a Windows file with all kinds of information in it about the programs installed (among other things).
The trick here is that when a new program is installed, information is recorded in several places in the registry. If Windows says Majesty is still an installed program, then it must still have an item in the registry that has not been removed. MY guess is that the list of installed programs that you see is generated from a list of items in the Windows registry. If someone knows more about how the Windows registry works they might be able to give you the exact location.

The only additional help I can offer is to try this:

Find another computer that doesn't have Majesty on it.
Install Majesty
Uninstall it, but instead of the automatic option select the custom option.
The custom option lets you uninstall individual files (remove all of them).
Write down all the files and registry items on the list so you can check for them on your computer.

I'm not 100% sure if this will work because windows might automaticly make changes to the registry when it installs and uninstalls programs that wouldn't be listed in the program uninstall information.

I know that there are programs you can buy at a store, download, etc. that will clean up "orhphaned" registry items. That might be another option.

Spiderman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

One thought is that you might need admin rights to delete the entry from the Add/Remove menu. I just got a new computer with XP which had AOL already installed, so I removed it with the Add/Remove menu. It still shows up in there but when I click on it again, it says something like "this program has already been uninstalled. If you would like to remove this entry from Add/Remove, click here" and when I do, it says I need admin rights.

So you might need to sign on as the admin and delete the Add/Remove entry itself.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Majesty Technical Assistance All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: