Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

Wonderful gem, but the spellcasting system is driving me mad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Quest Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darwin's Beard

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Wonderful gem, but the spellcasting system is driving me mad Reply with quote Back to top

Hello all!

Found out this gem three days ago, been playing nonstop since. During that time, I've completed all the quests and done a few expert freestyles. The game is a very solid design, has got good quests, acceptable interface, good writing and off-beat humor. We all know that.

BUT - can someone please enlighten me about what Cyberlore was thinking when they made beneficial spells (stoneskin, bless, etc) castable on enemy heroes and monsters? Its hard enough to actually try to keep an eye out on the fighting going on to help heroes with spells from all the kingdom management, but with anything more than a 3-person melee its friggin impossible to target the right faction, let alone the right person! It doesnt help models overlap each other as they get animated either. I've lost count how many times I've buffed a vampire, dragon or a golem. Is there a solution to this madness? Or am I doomed to real-time pixel hunting just to cast a spell on the right character?

Cant wait for M2.

-frustrated first-timer.

wavefront

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I might be wrong, but I think you can cast a spell on the portrait of the hero/monster you select.

Alfryd

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You certainly can, but you still need to select the right character first. You can hotkey your favourite characters or spells to one of the F keys (>1.) Can't recall precisely how, though. Control-click or something.
Oddly enough, I sometimes buff vampires, daemonwood etc. already engaged with a hero deliberately so that I can level up heroes otherwise reluctant to engage in combat. A troll attacking a guardhouse +Anti-magic shield is great target practice for emerging wizards.
Quote:
Found out this gem three days ago, been playing nonstop since. During that time, I've completed all the quests and done a few expert freestyles.

Actually, a few of the quests leave much to be desired. Still, 3 days must be a real burnout.

Actually, the selection issue is a problem. If you zoom in for a closer view, you lose sight of too much of the battlefield. You could have some kind of group selection mechanism as in most RTS titles, but you'd need to display hero names too for fine discrimination, as not all units of a given portrait are created equal, and they certainly won't develop that way, so you couldn't fit many in the display area. You'd also want to be able select hostile units by group, as there's a similar problem with casting harmful spells on friendly units (though at present, majesty has only one widely used harmful buff, wither.) Anyway, food for thought.

Darwin's Beard

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I can target the portraits! Gah, why didnt I think of that... thanks for the replies.

Will the Spellcaster

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hotkey by having the building/hero/spell selected (in the portrait window or on your hand thingy), and press ctrl + F2-12.

Alberinian Wildmaster

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Uh-Huh. Pretty useful, ain't it?

Apple

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Alfryd wrote:
Actually, the selection issue is a problem. If you zoom in for a closer view, you lose sight of too much of the battlefield. You could have some kind of group selection mechanism as in most RTS titles, but you'd need to display hero names too for fine discrimination, as not all units of a given portrait are created equal, and they certainly won't develop that way, so you couldn't fit many in the display area. You'd also want to be able select hostile units by group, as there's a similar problem with casting harmful spells on friendly units (though at present, majesty has only one widely used harmful buff, wither.) Anyway, food for thought.

Long before NE was released, bmills suggested drag click and select multiple units. I remember that we did quite a bit of campaigning for that idea.

Alfryd

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You could simply have mini-portraits of any heroes currently in view on-screen automatically line up along the edge of the screen, friendly on the left, hostile on the right, perhaps. Since there shouldn't be much more than a dozen on-screen at any given moment, it would be workable in most circumstances. Otherwise... maybe a pair of scroll-buttons could appear?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Quest Tips & Tricks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: