Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

Possible Majesty Spinnoff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> General Majesty Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Will the Spellcaster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Possible Majesty Spinnoff Reply with quote Back to top

(I don't know where else to put this, so I'll put it here)
It's come to my attention that there is a possible (more likely it's definatly) spinnoff to Majesty: the Fantisy Kingdom Simulation (sorry, can't resist using the full name here). It's called "Midevil", but it has almost the same exact things in it. It's cover picture is the same, except that it has "Midevil" on it's front instead of Majesty. It also has quite a few of the same units (warrior, wizard, ranger, ect.). And it's missing a few things (as usual with all spinoffs), including the nonhuman races and many of the temples (I think). Also, my source (my Challenge English/Reading teacher and her 12-year old daughter) says that it's nowhere near as good. It doesn't even come with a manuel, and was purchesed in a store! I think thar Cayberlore might want to look at this, and see if legal action is needed. I know I don't want any possible Majesty profits going to others, when it could be used towrds Majesty 2 funding.

Worthstream

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe you're referring to Medieval Conquest.
If that is the case that game sold next to zero copies, had no fan support, and is generally a really bad game.

It manages to combine the worst elements from both traditional rts and majesty. You still have to tell your units where to attack and explore, the only thing you can't tell them is when to retreat, and considering that they die so easily, it's the only thing you wish you could be able to.

There are only three classes: Warrior, Ranger and wizard, but every class does the same things: sleep, eat, gamble, buy weapons and armors. The only difference is that warriors buy melee weapons, wizard and ranger ranged ones.
Wizard spells comes in three category: damage that are only visually different from archer's arrows, paralisis that even at high levels rarely works, and only one healing spell.

Your only way to gain money is by letting your troops kill monsters, but in doing so they will gain levels, and gaining levels they require you to build more expensive facility.

So the only thing you do when playing is: select all of your heroes, send them toward near monsters, gain money and let them gain levels, when and hero's protrait flashes check to see which building you need to build.

After a really little you grow tired of clik on monsters-wait for levels-build advanced facilities-click-wait-build... and throw away the game.

Alfryd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The stone you can't squeeze blood from, huh?

Regretably, I fear this probably wouldn't count as an IP violation. It's *just* beyond the threshold of resemblance neccesary to sue. Besides, if hybridizing existing products without insertion of any original ideas counted as plagiarisation, Blizzard would be out of work.

Alberinian Wildmaster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

By your description, it sounds kind of boring. By your description, have you played that game?

Will the Spellcaster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, that's it. Ah, well. Just thought Cyberlore might want to know if they could sue, extra money is a good thing at this point. And it'd be nice to get the competitor off the market. But if it doesn't sell well, it's fine. Just making sure. Thanks, Worthstream!

Worthstream

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

@Will the Spellcaster:
You're welcome! ;)

Alberinian Wildmaster wrote:
By your description, it sounds kind of boring. By your description, have you played that game?

Of course, but i couldn't get myself to play past the fourth map, judging from average level of heroes that was about 50% of the game.

Since we're on topic... Anyone knows of any other game that resembles Majesty (good or bad, it doesn't matters) ?

Will the Spellcaster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Obviously, Heroes of Ardania. Not working right now, but it is based on Majesty, so...
But other than that, not really. I know countless games where you tell your people what to do, but that makes them distanced from Majesty. Although... If you took a game like Majesty and molded it to be a SimCity sort of game, the result would be oddly like StarTopia. It's a game where you go on different missions on spacestations; and you have to do things without being able to tell your employees anything (except for their version of a reward flag). You build, reserch, have wars, entertain, plant and harvest, ect. That's as close as I can think of. Oh, and your currency is energy, so instead of paying an energy bill, your money is the energy bill. Spend too much, and there goes your StarDock, and you don't really want that merchant ship stuck there forever.

Worthstream

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Heroes of ardania... uhmm... maybe it should be rewritten in php or any other lightweight scripting language.

Startopia was a really great game, especially the terraforming deck was so flexible and realistic.
I spent a lot of good afternoons playing that game :)

And what about warlords battlecry (any of the three)?
If you challenge yourself only to play with units autoproduced with "rampant" ai, it can become quite Majesty-like.
If it wasn't for the complete randomness in rampant movement -_-

Cooker

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

technically, everything is a spinoff of something else.

Spiderman

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, but how boring is being "technical"? Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> General Majesty Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: