Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

The graphics engine.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Majesty Wish List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alfryd

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: The graphics engine. Reply with quote Back to top

Just as a thought on the subject of a 3d graphics engine- an idea could be to go the route of SimCity 4, fix the viewpoints available and essentially generate persistent 2d sprites on the fly using some heavier rendering technique than you could easily apply to continual full-screen 25fps rendering. I.e, buildings and terrain/background are rendered once, and then you can optimise your engine for rendering the much smaller mobile characters.
Of course, this might be screwed completely by environmental bells and whistles like water reflections, or if the building in question has some complex continual animations, but it may be worth a shot. You could get some luscious looking sprites with a normally time-consuming rendering process, while keeping the processor demands down for older machines.
Simulation games- and I honestly think RTS too- have very little use for picking arbitrary viewpoints and closeups. And of course, you could splash out on more content without having to worry so much about the size of the data on CD, if that's how you do distribution.

Lurn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

An isometric-style engine like the origional Majesty seems the best to me. It allows some cool graphics and animations, runs on older computers well, and is less awkward for displaying all the information you need. Higher resolution, more frames, and I think the origional engine could work pretty well.

Alfryd

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The main problem with this is it places restrictions on the size of the sprites and length of animations. I mean, do the math:
100x100x25x4 = 1 meg for a 100x100 pixel, 1-second animation, using 24-bit colour and transparency. It's not huge, but you can only load so many into memory at once, and you can reach the limit imposed by a CD without too much trouble. This was the problem Maxis ran into.
For my own isometric engine, I've tried to cut down on this by doing real-time .gif decompression, but it's a pain in the ass. Plus, going with a proper 3d engine allows much more flexibility over the animations you can produce without having to re-render the entire requence of motion. Want your character to do a backflip? If they have the bones, no problem, just apply the keyframe sequence. And you can easily do things like have a character's appearance alter as they purchase new equipment, etc, which is much more problematic and space-consuming using a 2d engine, by attaching smaller models. With a 3d engine, you produce a model, bones, a texture map, and just redo the keyframes for a new animation. And you can zoom in to any level you desire (in fact, the closer you zoom, the easier for the engine, since there are fewer polies on-screen.)

Cooker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: ideas ... Reply with quote Back to top

I think we can use the idea used in rise of nations: 2D building + 3D characters.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Majesty Wish List All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: