Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

In need of assistance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> General Majesty Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zonk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: In need of assistance Reply with quote Back to top

I understand that the Majesty official site is old and hasn't been updated in ages, but there are many pictures in the "downloads" area I wish I could have but are under that annoying FilePlanet. Does anyone have an idea on how to get some of these pictures such as introduction to quest paintings, hero/monster portraits, etc.?

Spiderman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

What's wrong with Fileplanet? You might have to wait a bit for the public server, but you should be able to get them eventually Smile

The_Screaming_Lord

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

...well,with FilePlanet is wrong the following:they have to make money.

...and therefor if you don't pay them as a member,then you have to watch ads on the public servers,and I can assure you that the files from majesty that are there are very old.And I am sure that a lot of people have downloaded those resources.That means FilePlanet lies.You don't have to wait in line in order to download because actually there ar no other persons that wait to dowload files that old.Actually you have to wait in line to see their annoying ads.That's all:a big lie and perversity for those who don't want to enrich the charlatans at FilePlanet.

...Zonk,you have to download the files from there,because there is no other way to obtain them.Or if a friend of yours has them you could just simply ask him to send them to you through an IM program like MSN Messenger or Yahoo! Messenger.
Na-chaered palan-diriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, si nef aearon!

Ven Fairweather

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The_Screaming_Lord wrote:
...well,with FilePlanet is wrong the following:they have to make money.

...and therefor if you don't pay them as a member,then you have to watch ads on the public servers,and I can assure you that the files from majesty that are there are very old.And I am sure that a lot of people have downloaded those resources.That means FilePlanet lies.You don't have to wait in line in order to download because actually there ar no other persons that wait to dowload files that old.Actually you have to wait in line to see their annoying ads.That's all:a big lie and perversity for those who don't want to enrich the charlatans at FilePlanet.

How is It wrong to make money to pay for the resources to keep a site like Fileplanet alive? Rolling Eyes Have you ever run a professional, business-oriented website (which Fileplanet is) ?? It's ridiculously expensive. I have a small business website with no more than a few files available to download and it costs me a decent amount a year to keep and maintain it. I don't even want to guess what it costs annually to keep FilePlanet going.

I understand what you mean when you say that they lie about the waiting lines, but this is undoubtedly simply the default excuse for non-members since they started the membership policy. Yes, it sucks to sit and watch ads but NOTHING is without cost on the internet. Whether YOU pay for it or the WEBSITE pays for it,... someone must cover the cost.

The days of the "Free-Lunch" Internet are looooong gone. Crying or Very sad
"One by one the penquins are stealing my sanity..."

Alfryd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

On a pay-as-you-go basis, the internet is fairly low overhead- if everyone paid 5 cent toward every meg they downloaded, life would be simple. (I mean, the solution to eradicating spam is devestatingly simple. Charge people 2 cents to email you. For 10,000 spam messages, that adds up, andit's no big deal to anyone who genuinely wants to contact you.)
Ads essentially provide a means by which the gullible pay for the stoic.

On a completely unrelated note, are the Venn voicelines up for download anywhere? My Connery impression still needs work.

The_Screaming_Lord

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

yes,indeed,I was a bit harsh about FilePlanet...but,think about...they receive money when someone clicks on a link,yes? if anyone won't click it's ridiculous then...the payers will have no visitors and therefor no estimated profit,and FilePlanet no revenue,am I right?
Na-chaered palan-diriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, si nef aearon!

Spiderman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've never had to wait a long time just to see ads go by, it's usually click here (not an ad) to get in line, click to start waiting, and then I just wait until my turn comes up. I usually do other things until the little ding tells me I'm up.

Alfryd: This is going to morph into something big, I know it, but when someone sends you an email, how do you know who it is to charge?

Ven Fairweather

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Alfryd, I may still have whatever Venn voicelines you'd like to hear. PM me and maybe I can help you out Smile
"One by one the penquins are stealing my sanity..."

The_Screaming_Lord

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Spiderman wrote:
I've never had to wait a long time just to see ads go by, it's usually click here (not an ad) to get in line, click to start waiting, and then I just wait until my turn comes up. I usually do other things until the little ding tells me I'm up.

Alfryd: This is going to morph into something big, I know it, but when someone sends you an email, how do you know who it is to charge?

...that's the whole idea Dorg Smile ...you don't click on the ads and FilePlanet don't receive money lol Very Happy ...but sometimes there are zillions and catrallions of people that have to download something and eventually they get bored and they click an ad...ding,ding,ding,ding...the money start flowing into the FilePlanet treasury Smile
Na-chaered palan-diriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, si nef aearon!

Alfryd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

I presume the same way Paypal does. I wouldn't need to know your billing adress, just your credit account. Wink

Spiderman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Screaming_Lord: Yeah, but that's not the fault of Fileplanet if YOU get bored and want to click on something. Like I said, I can find other things to do while waiting and the whole experience is free anyways.

Alfryd: So if I receive an usolicited spam email from Cool_Rockin_Dude who I've never corresponded with, I will know who and where to charge him for sending me the email? Or even before it gets to that point, before I download the message from my server, the mail server knows who to charge before accepting it?

I'm not trying to be a smartoink; I just don't see the difference between most spammers current operations of hijacking a server or service provider to send their mass emails and your proposal - they'd just hijack that server's billing account so that server will be charged and not them personally.

Alfryd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
So if I receive an usolicited spam email from Cool_Rockin_Dude who I've never corresponded with, I will know who and where to charge him for sending me the email?

No. He won't even get as far as sending the email until he pays the fee. The exact protocol required isn't particularly relevant, but a crude explanation would be that you keep a list on your server of every address allowed to send you an email. Most entries on the list would be temporary, deleted immediately after their creation for individuals who attached the fee along with the mail which is withheld until the cheque is cleared, so to speak. Others would be personal friends that you naturally allow to communicate freely. It's not my idea, now, economist David Friedman was the first I know of to have this brainwave.
By contrast, the current system keeps a list of all the people who *aren't* allowed to send you an email, which is, after a while, likely to be a much longer, and more permanent, list. When communication is so cheap and impersonal as the net allows, the default attitude should be 'I don't want to hear from you.' Maybe a tad cynical, but a small proportion of jerks have a well-documented capacity for ruining the majority's day.

Spiderman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ah, okay, I see.

Is there a way to double-safeguard from someone who either hacks into a friends account and using their approved email address or uses one of those viruses that sends itself out to everyone in the address book, thus ensuring you will get the spam because of your friend is on the approved list, or is it up to the friend to make sure his virus software is up to date and get all the patches, etc; be responsible for his security?

I'm just asking because while "your" way sounds like it would stop casual spammers, it might cause them to shift the the way they operate and find other ways to get around it (as long as it's cheap, I guess).

Gaspod

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Spiderman wrote:
Screaming_Lord: Yeah, but that's not the fault of Fileplanet if YOU get bored and want to click on something. Like I said, I can find other things to do while waiting and the whole experience is free anyways.

The new system is even better because you don't even need to be there for it to start downloading. You can just get in line and forget about it and do something else and then come back to it. I'm willing to wait in line and look/ignore adds in order to get movies and demos that are only available from Fileplanet.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> General Majesty Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: