Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

Map sizes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Majesty 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DreamRain

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 11:10 pm    Post subject: Map sizes Reply with quote Back to top

I'm wondering how the map sizes will work in Majesty2 - if there's any idea on that yet.

In Majesty/NE, there's Small/Large/Huge. I often wondered why there was no 'medium'.
If a similar map sizing system is used for M2, I'd like to see a Medium size map - at least for the freestyle options. Or for a map editor, if there was to be one.

Countless times I wanted a Small map to be a little bigger (felt too cramped) and a Large map to be a little smaller (felt too expansive). And let's not even mention Huge. Huge is fun sometimes, particularly w/the Outposts in NE, but occasionally, if one's aim is more along the lines of city creation/casual monster bashing and not 'win the map in 5 days' or 'defend against all odds', a more moderate sized playing field would be appreciated...at least by me. heh

Twylah Skye

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 11:37 pm    Post subject: Map sizes Reply with quote Back to top

I love playing the HUGE maps. I hope Majesty 2 gives us more Huge Map options instead of just two. I'd also like "blank" sizes of maps that I can fill with a personalized mix & match of creatures/lairs to fight instead of the specifically themed maps in Freestyle play.

- Twy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
smeagol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 10:17 pm    Post subject: Map sizes Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Twylah Skye
-----------------------------------------
I hope Majesty 2 gives us more Huge Map options instead of just two. I'd also like "blank" sizes of maps that I can fill with a personalized mix & match of creatures/lairs to fight instead of the specifically themed maps in Freestyle play.

Another neat idea might be maps other than square.
A rectangular or column map would be good in a 2 player game giving more room between the 2 castles to help prevent ranger, rogue, or krolm rushes. It would also deter being able to run around the monster lairs in the middle of the map by going by the edges as some try to do in Eldritch Circles.

Maybe a map in the shape of an hourglass would allow one to build up a castle but still deter rushes. If you can imagine 2 hour-glasses in the shape of an X, you could have a 4-way map in a shape like that, or even a 6-way map of 3 connected (in the center) hourglasses, where a lot of the battling takes place in the center.

I personally like the smaller maps as the huge map online takes forever to complete, but adding a size of Medium between small and Large might be a good compromise.

[ 10. June 2003, 12:29 AM: Message edited by: smeagol ]

DreamRain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 1:27 am    Post subject: Map sizes Reply with quote Back to top

I definitely like the idea of non-square maps.
Since it's going to be 3D, even if the map edges are square, perhaps there could be terrain obstacles that create a 'playing field' that is not. ie, rocky outcroppings that one cannot build on and Heros cannot walk across. Sort of like the terrain obstacles of some RTS games. Those obstacles could then be placed so they formed an 'hourglass' playing field.

Or something.
At any rate, I like your idea.

Steven Of Nine

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 8:29 am    Post subject: Map sizes Reply with quote Back to top

A map editor has been requested many times in the wish lists topic. Hourglass or other chokepoint maps have been discussed there.

From one: Terrain: like many above, there's no tactical use of terrain. In many RTS games, the map has choke points for invasion, etc. This would also greatly enhance the value of Gate spells, to circumvent, but would make for an increase in the value of Ballista Towers, too, to control such. Although it would likely require some Ai tweaking for the pathing of characters.

http://www.cyberlore.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=000723

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Majesty 2 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: