Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

Jay Talks!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Majesty 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 10:39 am    Post subject: Jay Talks! Reply with quote Back to top

Whitedog,

I am not critical of Cyberlore choosing to place its focus on simulation to enhance the playability of Quests for Majesty Legends. As I have already stated I love Simulation games and I still love playing the Majesty Quests in freestyle. In fact these days, I get very little multi-player games in so the single-player experience is in fact more important to me.

However, IF (and this is a huge IF) they are planning to have a multi-player Majesty Legends it won't be done well if it is designed as an after-thought. I am just making observations here and trying to prepare my fellow multi-player friends that if they were counting on a new multi-player RTS Majesty they may be disappointed.

Steven is right that there is a huge market for people who want to play online games. If a game has online play it will help it to increase its market. My concern is that, to date, I haven't seen a well done successful real-time city-building simulation game. Poor attempts at this that I can think of are Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom and SimCity4 . If Majesty Legends is going in this direction and multi-player is included good design for multi-player needs to take place from inception.

What I am saying is that I want Majesty Legends to happen. I want it to be a great game. I want it to be successful. If Cyberlore is going in the direction of simulation I am just trying to point out some of the pitfalls of simulation games in a real-time multiplayer environment. I would rather have great simulation game with no multi-player capability than a sim game with poorly designed after-thought multi-player game.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Vizzerdrix

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 2:09 am    Post subject: Jay Talks! Reply with quote Back to top

you know, personally, i never thougth Amazons were an original idea. the reason why Majesty stood out for me was because of its originality (ratmen, Monks, game engine, etc.) So since it's early in the production process, i dont think we should have amazons. unless someone convinces me otherwise

Whitedog

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 1:31 pm    Post subject: Jay Talks! Reply with quote Back to top

That's an excellent point, Vizzerdrix. Majesty is good enough that it doesn't need to borrow from anything else. Any of the Majesty Hero names that aren't original, like the Solari, are generic enough so as not to be associated with any specific mythos or theme. Perhaps another generic yet descriptive name for this character such as Sword Maiden?

Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 1:50 pm    Post subject: Jay Talks! Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmmm......I agree that Majesty is a Fantasy Sim with much originality. But.....maybe you haven't noticed it has certainly borrowed a lot from mythology and medieval lore. You have never heard of Paladins, harpies, medusae, cyclopes, minotaur, vampires, Styx and Stones, The Bell, the Book and the Candle, werewolves, wendigos,....?

I could continue the list of things it has borrowed from other mythologies but I believe it is clear that the mythos of Ardania has both original and borrowed elements. There is very little if anything these days that is completely original.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Whitedog

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 2:18 pm    Post subject: Jay Talks! Reply with quote Back to top

I'm sure that everyone realizes that Cyberlore didn't invent the Castle or the Dragon, Goldie, but I think that Vizzerdrix was aiming more at direct mythos-related Heroes. The Paladin is more of a generic name for a holy knight kind of Hero (no, not the Christmas carol...), but the Amazon definitely has its own stigma already attached to it from Greek Mythology. I think that's what he was getting at.

Furfoot

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 8:37 pm    Post subject: Jay Talks! Reply with quote Back to top

Amazons should be Pumpkins, and Barbarians should be Lozenges.

I think it would depend what sorts of abilities they have set up for the Amazon. If they are Amazon-ish powers, what's wrong with calling them Amazons?

If they're more universal, it doesn't really matter what they're called. Valkyries, Amazons, Termagants, Clodbusters...

Tiger

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 11:47 pm    Post subject: Jay Talks! Reply with quote Back to top

Hey, I think what Majesty Legends needs is a hero called the Clodbuster! They could wear those snazzy wooden shoes, and kick the hell out of their enemies! ...... or wait.... i'm thinking of clogs... heh!

[ 15. May 2003, 12:49 AM: Message edited by: Tiger ]

M

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 6:18 pm    Post subject: Jay Talks! Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Goldy_Bear:
What I am saying is that I want Majesty Legends to happen. I want it to be a great game. I want it to be successful. If Cyberlore is going in the direction of simulation I am just trying to point out some of the pitfalls of simulation games in a real-time multiplayer environment. I would rather have great simulation game with no multi-player capability than a sim game with poorly designed after-thought multi-player game.

What is wrong with having a poorly designed after-thought Multi-player game? It doesn't affect single player at all!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Majesty 2 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: