Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

Random Freestyle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> The Northern Expansion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spiderman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 7:47 am    Post subject: Random Freestyle Reply with quote Back to top

If you choose random freestyle, does anyone know what exactly is chosen as "random"? So far I've played three and it just seems like the Starting Settlement and Starting Gold. Wandering Monsters, and at least one Special Event have remained constant and coincidently(?), the same as the last freestyle quest I played from the contest (I think the Wandering Monsters is the one that has super monsters hunting down your heros and Special Event is Random Disaster that includes the Plague).

So when you choose random, does the Wandering Monster settings and Special Events settings exempt?

------------------
Thwip!

PacMan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 9:27 am    Post subject: Random Freestyle Reply with quote Back to top

I've had that happen too. The first four times that I played an advanced freestyle quest the scenario began with a minotaur swarm. But when I played it the fifth time I got rats and medusa as enemys. The generator seems to fall into patterns, but the wandering monsters should vary from game to game.

Steven Of Nine

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 9:57 am    Post subject: Random Freestyle Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, there are probably pools of options that are taken. For the most part, Advanced and Expert Quests will have an extremely high probability of Veteran Heroes. I hate Veteran Heroes.

Expert Quests always start with less than 20K Gold.

What's the scheme? Hey, keep playing and find out.

------------------
Shiny_Pony (Steven Of Nine)

"Romance is not a malfunction"
- Kes, "Lifesigns"

Spiderman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2001 7:04 am    Post subject: Random Freestyle Reply with quote Back to top

Oops, I made an error on my first post. It's both the Special Events that seemed the same (Random Disasters and The Hunters) although I think the Wandering Monsters was Skeletons and they seemed to be constant in the three games I played.

Anyway, to test it out I changed the Special Events to the one with Lightning Bolts and Earthquakes and Wandering Monsters to Cannon Fodder and so far it seems to be holding true in two more games. But still testing (also trying that Krolm stuff mentioned in the other thread).

------------------
Thwip!

MWorius

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2001 2:43 pm    Post subject: Random Freestyle Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Steven Of Nine:
Yes, there are probably pools of options that are taken. For the most part, Advanced and Expert Quests will have an extremely high probability of Veteran Heroes. I hate Veteran Heroes.

Expert Quests always start with less than 20K Gold.

What's the scheme? Hey, keep playing and find out.

Well, I've played around with some of the freestyle settings a bit and I've noticed some things about the difficulty settings.

First off, the Player Forces, Enemy Forces and Wandering mMonsters all contribute to the difficulty. The game seems to average them out if you use different ones. For example, if you choose a beginner setting, an advanced setting an an expert setting, the game generally lists it as an advanced quest. The settings don' seem to be entirely equal though. I'venoticed that Shadow Beasts as wandering monsters and Dragon's Reach/Winter Behemoths seem to push the game farther toward an expert difficulty than the other expert settings.

In the original game, I think the game chose between the different beginner options for a beginner random, and so on for the harder random settings. However, I'm not sure how it works in MajX with the special events.

The special events also affect difficulty. I've also noticed that if you put certain options together, you can create a master quest. One example of that might be Shadow Beasts/Winter Behemoths/Abomination. I don't know if the game can randomly create a master quest.

Basically, I've only noticed trends. I don't know the actual mechanics behind it. Also, I don't play random freestyle quests. I prefer constructing my scenarios by hand.

------------------
Here comes trouble!

Spiderman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2001 6:59 am    Post subject: Random Freestyle Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with that and I don't think the game can randomly create a Master quest; it's up to you to hand-create it. It just seems like (as someone mentioned) certain events are favored; I haven't seen Evil Awakens or other scenarios that use "bosses". It just seems like generic monsters, so perhaps there's a smaller list the randomizer uses to create scenarios.

------------------
Thwip!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> The Northern Expansion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: