Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

Dark Alliance 2 art on the Art Page

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Cyberlore News and Information Service
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jay Adan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:33 am    Post subject: Dark Alliance 2 art on the Art Page Reply with quote Back to top

Cyberlore recently did some character work on the upcoming Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II game. We've posted some pictures from that project on our art page.

Feel free to check it out and let us know what you think!

Jay Adan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 12:16 pm    Post subject: Dark Alliance 2 art on the Art Page Reply with quote Back to top

I'm trying to see if I can get an actual artist to answer some of these questions but I can tell you that the faces of the characters are made up of almagamations of various Cyberlore employees.

darktoad

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 12:36 pm    Post subject: Dark Alliance 2 art on the Art Page Reply with quote Back to top

Hi guys,
The detail on all the models is very high. We built these NPCs for use in the in-game cutscenes, but BlackIsle is also using them to generate the lower poly versions you'll see walking around in the game. The characters are each around 7500 polygons and they each use a 512x512 image for their textures. They're fully rigged for facial animation too.

Definately a fun project!

As Jay indicated, we used photos of various Cyberlore employees as our reference for the textures.

We did use better lighting in these shots than you'll likely see in the final game, but each of these models should look real nice in the game.

[ 15. October 2003, 01:37 PM: Message edited by: David Silverman ]

Venstar Trailblazer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 3:35 pm    Post subject: Dark Alliance 2 art on the Art Page Reply with quote Back to top

Speaking of cutscenes, what do you use to create the characters, how do you do voices for them, and how do you put everything into motion?
If you want to know my reasoning, go to my topic "Dumb World" in the Movie/TV section. I could always use more help and advice.

wavefront

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:15 pm    Post subject: Dark Alliance 2 art on the Art Page Reply with quote Back to top

It looks cool. It might just be good lighting, but the texture and detail on the wizards face is exceptional.

Tencendur

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:32 pm    Post subject: Dark Alliance 2 art on the Art Page Reply with quote Back to top

These are some nicely modeled, nicely textured characters. Are they for cut scenes, or has the format of Baldur's gate changed since Shadows of Amn? These folks appear to be a little too detailed for the 20-pixel tall in-game characters of BGII.
I would be interested in knowing what your polycount limit was for the characters, and also why the warrior in the third image looks like Jimmy Kimmel.

Thanks for sharing!
-mj

[ 15. October 2003, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: Tencendur ]

darktoad

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 9:10 am    Post subject: Dark Alliance 2 art on the Art Page Reply with quote Back to top

We use Discreet's 3DS Max to create the models. It's a high end 3d graphics package for those who don't know, and we use Adobe Photoshop to create the textures.

We didn't do any voices or even animation of the characters. We built, textured, and rigged the models to specifications provided by the Lead Artist for BG:DA2 at BlackIsle.

3DS Max is complete and very expensive package and allows us to handle all aspects of making a 3d model, from building the forms to animating them. We still need to rely on Photoshop for the vast majority of our 2d work. It's exactly like MS Paint, but completely different.

As far as recording audio into your computer for cheap, Windows comes with a sound recorder application. Check under Start->Programs->Accesories->Entertainment->Sound Recorder.

Most computers these days have microphone inputs in their sound cards. You can use a really cheap microphone for recording this way too!

I don't know much about that SwishMax program I'm afraid. If you can get on Ebay, I'd imagine you could snap up a cheap copy of Flash.

Jay Adan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 9:13 am    Post subject: Dark Alliance 2 art on the Art Page Reply with quote Back to top

But for anybody looking to get into audio recording work for games it's worth mentioning that the thing that you WANT to spend a lot of money getting is a microphone. Just about everything else can be done on a budget but the mic determines so much about the quality of your recording that you do not want to skimp on it.

Ven Fairweather

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 2:32 pm    Post subject: Dark Alliance 2 art on the Art Page Reply with quote Back to top

You'll also want to spend a LOT of money on voice actors for your audio.

wavefront

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 6:54 pm    Post subject: Dark Alliance 2 art on the Art Page Reply with quote Back to top

*cough* *cough* shameless-plug *cough* *cough*

Ven Fairweather

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 12:14 am    Post subject: Dark Alliance 2 art on the Art Page Reply with quote Back to top

Ok ok, Wavefront is right, I was just being my hilarious self.

Actually Jay is correct in that a decent mic is important, but equally important is a quiet environment to record sound in. Unless a person's PC is exceptionally quiet, recording directly into your soundcard with an attached microphone isn't going to work very well. Either isolate the person being recorded or isolate the PC tower to insure as much silence in the background as possible.

Tencendur

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 5:18 pm    Post subject: Dark Alliance 2 art on the Art Page Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the answers to my questions Jay and David. Coming from a high poly modeling background, I'm always curious about the specifics of what goes on at gaming companies.
I still think that character looks like Jimmy Kimmel. I would suggest that perhaps it's a celebrity guest spot, but that would be more lame than Tim Curry in Wing Commander III.
And I know you guys are above that.

Cheers,
-mj

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Cyberlore News and Information Service All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: