Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

The Gencon Report 2002

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Cyberlore News and Information Service
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jay Adan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 12:57 pm    Post subject: The Gencon Report 2002 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, it's been two days since I flew back from Milwaukee and I still haven't caught up on my work. I must say though, it was worth it.

For those who didn't have a chance to make it, Gencon was a pretty fabulous success for Cyberlore.

First, I have to mention the Microsoft booth Ė or should I say The Mercenaries Booth? Thatís what it felt like. A good half of the MS booth was devoted to Mercenaries. There was quite a bit of devotion as well since it included the incredibly cool Virtual World pods. So, if you were to come by our booth to try out Mercs youíd actually get to step into a cockpit, seal yourself in, and get a real immersive experience. It was great! So great that there was a 20-40 minute wait to get a chance to play. When you did you would get to play against three other people (there were four of the pods all networked together). The line didnít slack off until the end of the dayÖ and even then the MS folks would hang around an extra hour or so to give exhibitors a chance to try them out as well.

On Friday we ran a tournament using the pods as well. 64 players pitted against one-another to be hailed as champion of the show. It took most of the day and the guys that made it to the semi-finals ended up with so much cool swag that they could barely carry it all.

If thatís not enough we were also giving out Mercenaries T-Shirts and Posters. Youíll get to see them when I get a chance to put up the photos that I took. The T-Shirts were a pretty hot item at the show and we had lots of people coming by simply because they heard that we were giving them out. By the last day of the show you couldnít throw a gamer without hitting somebody wearing one of the shirts.

Of course my report would not be complete without mentioning that RISK was also being shown at the Infogrames booth. As I was working for MS for the duration of the show I didnít get to spend much time over there, but of the handful of games that Infogrames brought with them (out of literally dozens that they could have shown) RISK had the honor of being among the few. Iíve got a pic of somebody playing that as well.

Gencon always drains me by the final day. Itís a good feeling but Iím always happy to be back.

wavefront

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 11:02 pm    Post subject: The Gencon Report 2002 Reply with quote Back to top

Ahh, VR pods.
I tried them out a couple of times about 10 years ago. The software was still buggy though. The rental price for a set of pods (either 4 or 8 I can't remember now) was $200 an hour. Does that sort of business still exist?

Patrick Burgel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 7:42 pm    Post subject: The Gencon Report 2002 Reply with quote Back to top

Could I get a XXL mercs T-shirt instead, if you havent sent out that prize yet JAY???
PLEASE????????????? lol....

wish I could of been there....

[ 16 August 2002, 08:43 PM: Message edited by: MechTech ]

Jay Adan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 9:31 am    Post subject: The Gencon Report 2002 Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by wavefront:
Ahh, VR pods.
I tried them out a couple of times about 10 years ago. The software was still buggy though. The rental price for a set of pods (either 4 or 8 I can't remember now) was $200 an hour. Does that sort of business still exist?

Apparently it does.

http://www.virtualworld.com

Mostly at "Dave & Buster's" around the US, but there are some in other parts of the world as well.

bladeles

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 10:40 am    Post subject: The Gencon Report 2002 Reply with quote Back to top

They had one in New York, New York in Vegas a little over a year ago... I didn't get to play it though. It was some kind of Boat Racing Game... looked really good, but it was pretty costly and always had a line.

Jay Adan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 1:36 pm    Post subject: The Gencon Report 2002 Reply with quote Back to top

Consider that an official recommendation from the webmaster. Cool as they are, not everybody has the bandwidth to quickly load them up. I prefer speedy load times but I'd rather not ban their use entirely.

Steven Of Nine

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 11:05 pm    Post subject: The Gencon Report 2002 Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by MechTech:
Could I get a XXL mercs T-shirt instead, if you havent sent out that prize yet JAY???
PLEASE????????????? lol....

wish I could of been there....

--------------------
--------------------
www.MekTek.net - Programming and Development Team Member.

MechTech, I understand that these sorts of sigs are the way of doing business in your Mechwarrior Realm, but I wonder if you MechFolk could just drop the huge images from the sigs, please, in this forum?

They take forever to load for us poor dialup folk, and they really mean nothing to the vast majority of the forum members... Your sig image is over twice the file size of the entire html code of this discussion...

Thanks.

[ 19 August 2002, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: Steven Of Nine ]

Patrick Burgel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 8:35 pm    Post subject: The Gencon Report 2002 Reply with quote Back to top

NP...... ;p lol

Jay Adan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 4:55 pm    Post subject: The Gencon Report 2002 Reply with quote Back to top

BTW - My photos from Gencon are now up...

http://www.cyberlore.com/photos/Gencon2002/

Let me know if you have any problems with the image links.

Patrick Burgel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 5:25 pm    Post subject: The Gencon Report 2002 Reply with quote Back to top

LMAO lots of intresting ummm... people jay......lol.

Good it was maybe 15 years ago, I think it was Dragoncon in Baltimore MD.....
drove 4 hours to get there, with 5 friends in a very small car, and didnt sleep for two days......lol

wavefront

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 2:05 am    Post subject: The Gencon Report 2002 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmm...
No photos of Gary Gygax? He use to be at GenCon every year. I guess he got burried along with TSR. I guess I'm showing my age too, eh?
PnP -> RIP?

Jay Adan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 9:02 am    Post subject: The Gencon Report 2002 Reply with quote Back to top

I believe that Gary was there... somewhere. I never saw him though. Dave Arneson (the OTHER father of modern roleplaying) was also there.

Karrade

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 3:03 am    Post subject: The Gencon Report 2002 Reply with quote Back to top

so, when's the site for these photos' contest? already picked some out with ideas for em =)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Cyberlore News and Information Service All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: