Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

Problems with Multiplayer Majesty

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Multiplayer Majesty
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cedar Bristol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 6:20 pm    Post subject: Problems with Multiplayer Majesty Reply with quote Back to top

I've been having problems playing Majesty online. At first, I put the patch on, then I read that you shouldn't do that with the Gold Edition, so I uninstalled and re-installed. Then I was able to play a couple of games. In fact, it seems to work about half of the time now. I've never been able to get into a game with somebody else hosting, but it works, like I said, 50% of the time when I host.

The problem that keeps coming up is like this: I launch the game. A few seconds later, I see the other player in the game lobby. We chat, everything looks good, I set the settings, then I launch the game. The game launches and I can't build anything. I also can't seem to message the other player. It says "Waiting for other players" in the title bar. It seems like the game has to find the other player again after the game starts even though we were chatting in the Game's multiplayer lobby screen just a second ago. If I and the other player wait long enough, usually about 2 minutes, then the game can proceed and everything goes smoothly from there on.

Is this normal?

wavefront

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 7:13 pm    Post subject: Problems with Multiplayer Majesty Reply with quote Back to top

I don't MP much, but I have heard that the Gold Edition has many little quirks (can't download and play the new quests for example).
Some of the other players do more MP so they might have some more insight in this.

Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 12:20 am    Post subject: Problems with Multiplayer Majesty Reply with quote Back to top

Majesty multiplayer has always been unpredictable. Your experience isn't unusual.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
smeagol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 12:20 am    Post subject: Problems with Multiplayer Majesty Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Cedar Bristol:
The problem that keeps coming up is like this: I launch the game. A few seconds later, I see the other player in the game lobby. We chat, everything looks good, I set the settings, then I launch the game. The game launches and I can't build anything. I also can't seem to message the other player. It says "Waiting for other players" in the title bar. It seems like the game has to find the other player again after the game starts even though we were chatting in the Game's multiplayer lobby screen just a second ago. If I and the other player wait long enough, usually about 2 minutes, then the game can proceed and everything goes smoothly from there on.

Is this normal?

This is normal depending on whom you play with.

You can cut down on the length of the wait by playing with people who have faster and more reliable connections.

The game that will sync the fastest is if you play on a small map, with No monsters and No wandering monsters (and no special events if you are in expansion) and with only 2 people total.
Before you launch in gamespy, wait until the ping boxes settle down and are level for all players. (Some people are loading ads before their ping boxes level off)
Also make sure that everyone in the game has nothing on his or her taskbar except gamespy. No Internet explorer running, no Netscape running, and if you close out your instant messengers and virus scanners that will help too.

For completeness sake, the one that will take the longest to sync is a 4 player game on a large or huge map, with lots of enemy forces monsters, wandering monsters (actually they donít start slowing down the game until day 5 or 6), and special events like super lairs or re-spawning lairs. Also if people are also downloading files or music or something before or while playing the game this makes it take a long time to sync.

Hope this helps.

Steven Of Nine

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:43 pm    Post subject: Problems with Multiplayer Majesty Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by smeagol:

Before you launch in gamespy, wait until the ping boxes settle down and are level for all players. (Some people are loading ads before their ping boxes level off)

OK, let me disabuse everyone about this old saw. Your ping, right before you start the game, has nothing to do with how the connection will perform in-game. The ping is just your current ping, and nothing to do with how the game will handle it. If your ping is generally bad, waiting until it's good then launching won't stop it being bad in-game, and if you've a fast connection, launching when your ping is in the red won''t mean it stays that way. The Ping should be used as a general guide, not an instant cure/warning for your gaming speed.
The idea that you have to wait for the ads to load is ridiculous. Remember, the new version of GSA SHUTS ITSELF DOWN when launching, to stop interfering with your gaming information flow.
Your ping before the game is that way due to, yes, ads, chat, and whatever else you're doing. If you're only running GSA, any ping-related issues will stop once you launch... because GSA shuts down until you leave the game. If you're running other internet-using programmes SHUT THEM OFF.

quote:

Also make sure that everyone in the game has nothing on his or her taskbar except gamespy. No Internet explorer running, no Netscape running, and if you close out your instant messengers and virus scanners that will help too.

Excellent advice. As noted, if you want the best from gaming, run only the gaming software.

One more thing, for all you MP gamers: if the game is sitting there synchronising, DO NOT KEEP CHATTING. Don't ask what's going on, don't yak away with emoticons or even keep pressing the return key so your name fills the screen with no text chat. You're making Majesty send your chat along with all the info it's trying to synchronise, and you're making the wait take longer.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Multiplayer Majesty All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: