Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

Firewall

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Multiplayer Majesty
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Minrhael

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 7:36 pm    Post subject: Firewall Reply with quote Back to top

Hello again!

Been awhile, but I'm back playing for awhile, at least until Morrowind comes out

However, I have a new computer, and networked the old one, now I've got router/firewall troubles ;(

If anyone can help solve this, I'd appreciate it. I managed to figure out which ports to open, and set myself to DMZ so I can play now, but I can't host; not necessarily the biggest problem, except when I run into someone with the same problem. So, anyone have any ideas on how to get myself hosting again?

Thanks,

Min.

Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 8:35 pm    Post subject: Firewall Reply with quote Back to top

Nice to hear from you, Min.

I have had a router for quite awhile, Min. My hosting problems went away on GSA a long time ago. Are you sure you can't? Have you tried it?

Another problem that occassionally occurs has to do with the connection/processor speed of the PC's in play. Sometimes the faster PC has to host to get things to work.

Goldy

P.S. Well....your problem obviously isn't computer speed or connection speed. At this point I would be suspicious of XP Home Edition if you are certain you got your firewall turned off and your router set to DMZ.

I know those routers are supposed to let you open just the right ports but I never could figure out how to make it work anyway but with DMZ. I am very careful to disable DMZ afterwards because I have had a lot of trouble with the Nimda virus hacking across my Internet connection into my shared folders. The combination of the NAT router and Norton Anti-Virus have kept me protected so far.

I set my Compaq up with dual-boot for Windows ME and Windows XP Home. I have pretty much ditched XP Home for game playing because the speed was terrible. Course I only have 256MB RAM. Nothing like your system. Your 1 gig of memory should in theory solve slow downs due to paging. What brand machine do you have? And don't tell my son or he will be demanding one. Heehee.

[ 17 April 2002, 01:02 AM: Message edited by: Goldy_Bear ]

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Minrhael

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 1:13 am    Post subject: Firewall Reply with quote Back to top

Got a Dell; I didn't really want one, as they were brutal about driver updates with my last one (which was a Dell), they never once updated the video driver available on their site in the 3 years I had the computer.

I wanted Alienware, but Alienware wasn't doing financing right now, so back to Dell it was. Now maybe I'll get smart and start saving for the new one 3 years from now so I won't have to finance it, that'd be a nice change!

Blastoiseu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 5:31 pm    Post subject: Firewall Reply with quote Back to top

What ports do you need to open?

well, I found this, you have to scroll down a little to see the list of port numbers and hte purposes for each:

http://www.gamespyarcade.com/support/firewalls.shtml

Craze

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 7:06 pm    Post subject: Firewall Reply with quote Back to top

i'm a total newbie at firewall/router configuration, so can anyone tell me exactly which ports to open for hosting majesty? i would greatly appreciate it.

fatsmagee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 5:18 pm    Post subject: Firewall Reply with quote Back to top

Hello all, i dont know if anyone looks at this anymore but here goes a try, i recently bought a d-link DI-704p router to hook up my roommates computer and mine to the internet so we can both play games at the same time, but i can not play on gamespy due to the built in firewall of the d-link router, i have played numerous times online befor the router with no trouble so i know its the router.....my question is this....when opening ports (the ones they list on the help portion on gamespy under firewalls) they do not list the number that i put in the trigger box ! i can not find this number anywheres.....if someone knows where to find this number (i know very little about routers so be as detailed as possible please) it would be greatly appreciated, BTW i called d-link support and told them my situation and they wanted me to run in DMZ but i want BOTH computers to play not just one so then they said they could not help me because they need the trigger number and port numbers to open and without those they can not do anything....please help i am goin through a majesty multiplayer withdrawl here!!! Thanks all

Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 7:34 pm    Post subject: Firewall Reply with quote Back to top

Have you and your roomate tried LAN games in lieu of using GamespyArcade? That is the most obvious solution to your problem unless you are looking for 3-way or 4-way games. But frankly, I'd jump for joy if I had someone I could play one-on-one LAN games with.

Now, if your roomate and you are playing different games at the same time that is a different issue. However, not all gameservers have problems with routers. Warcraft III for example only needs DMZ set if one wants to host.

[ 09. February 2003, 07:39 PM: Message edited by: Goldy_Bear ]

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
smeagol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 12:33 am    Post subject: Firewall Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Minrhael:
Hello again!

Been awhile, but I'm back playing for awhile, at least until Morrowind comes out

However, I have a new computer, and networked the old one, now I've got router/firewall troubles ;(

If anyone can help solve this, I'd appreciate it. I managed to figure out which ports to open, and set myself to DMZ so I can play now, but I can't host; not necessarily the biggest problem, except when I run into someone with the same problem. So, anyone have any ideas on how to get myself hosting again?

Thanks,

Min.

The Vulcan already gave the answer, but it is important enough to give again. The following website tell you how to fix your firewall issues so that you can host.

http://www.gamespyarcade.com/support/firewalls.shtml

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Multiplayer Majesty All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: