Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

golden woes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Multiplayer Majesty
View previous topic :: View next topic  
housefish

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 8:22 pm    Post subject: golden woes Reply with quote Back to top

Ok i don't know if this has been adressed elsewhere but if it has it belongs here anyway.

What is wrong with majesty gold and multi player?
I tried a game a while ago with goldy and it failed and i tried one today with some one named nessex22 who said they had gold and it failed 3 times when we tried to get in. Now does gold need their own gamespy room or is this just some bug in gold?

Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 8:54 pm    Post subject: golden woes Reply with quote Back to top

Fish,

Gold isn't working in a lot of ways, including MP games. I have reported what I know about but I don't think anything is being done.

This is really bad because the Original games are no longer on the shelves. Any new players who are currently being burned by buying the non-working Gold are going to be wary of buying Majesty2 when it comes out.

The downloadable Quests don't work, I have yet to find someone who has it and has played an MP game and it looks like it doesn't run on Windows XP. I have even seen some reports of people having problems with it on ME. Each of the problems I have encountered with Gold are not there if I install and play the original games on my systems. Therefore, I believe these are Gold problems and NOT Windows problems.

If I am not mistaken, Jay is the entire QA staff and as you well know that isn't the only job on his plate.

Goldy

[ 10 March 2002, 09:04 PM: Message edited by: Goldy_Bear ]

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Spiderman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 8:13 am    Post subject: golden woes Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Goldy_Bear:

This is really bad because the Original games are no longer on the shelves.

Actually, I have seen the original Majesty still selling at my local Target (well, on the shelves at least).

Jakartiz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 11:36 am    Post subject: golden woes Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Spiderman:
quote:
Originally posted by Goldy_Bear:

This is really bad because the Original games are no longer on the shelves.

Actually, I have seen the original Majesty still selling at my local Target (well, on the shelves at least).
My wife managed to pick up my copy of majesty just a couple months ago, and i recently got the expansion without having to look too hard to find it. Sorry to hear of all the problems Gold edition users are facing.
----------------
Jakartiz Headlopper

Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 3:00 pm    Post subject: golden woes Reply with quote Back to top

That's good to hear. I know that Madness indicated WalMart pulled the old games from their shelves. I assumed it was the same everywhere.

Now I'm speculating but I bet that the old games are the left-overs from before the release of Gold. I would be surprised if Infogrames Interactive is publishing both concurrently. Eventually, Gold will be all that is available.

Goldy

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Spiderman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 9:20 am    Post subject: golden woes Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I think that's the way it is too. I haven't seen any copies of NE but then again, I got mine at Best Buy and I haven't been there recently.

Although it will be too bad if Gold is the only one available and you can't d/l the quests (or was it only with XP? I can't remember what people said here...)

Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 9:43 am    Post subject: golden woes Reply with quote Back to top

I know Cyberlore has been working on a patch to fix the downloadable Quests. I just haven't heard about them working on any of the other problems that seem so prevalent with XP. I fear that they are going to come out and say it isn't compatible with XP. I would suspect the same if I didn't also have the old versions of the games and know that they work on XP.

Goldy

Spiderman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 6:48 am    Post subject: golden woes Reply with quote Back to top

So it must be the new code they added to Gold? What is it exactly, one CD with the installation option to install one or both? Or it automatically installs both? I'm guessing it's not just the two CD's from the original and NE packaged together...

Steven Of Nine

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 8:44 am    Post subject: golden woes Reply with quote Back to top

It doesn't seem, anyway, that there are any more problems with Gold than there were with the originals. A number of the new players online are Gold users. I've asked, and they're almost all saying they have Gold. This is different from the last new wave of players, who bought Majesty when it went cheap.

It would be disappointing that the same percentages of problems are occurring with Gold that occurred with regular versions, as this would indicate a lack of fixes for old problems, or a failure to find the new ones.

Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 6:23 pm    Post subject: golden woes Reply with quote Back to top

Steven,

That is news. So you are saying that there are MP players who have successfully made or joined games with you that are using Gold?

That's interesting when I tried to use Gold to play MP it failed and I was using it on my Compaq running Windows ME not on the DELL running XP which I thought had all the problems. Regardless of operating system the problems still seem to be Gold related since my old original games work on my systems.

Goldy

Steven Of Nine

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 11:31 am    Post subject: golden woes Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, that's what I'm saying. Sometime this weekend I'll install MajGold and see if I can't get it to work.

Steven Of Nine

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 9:18 pm    Post subject: golden woes Reply with quote Back to top

OK...

Tonight I came home from work and uninstalled Majesty and Majesty: Northern Expansion. The only files I kept were the Questdata and Hiscores files from our MajestyX.

I then installed Majesty Gold, using all the defaults the install used, changing nothing. I used the minimal install for computers with high-quality CD-rom drives.
We use a Pentium III, overclocked to run at 1Ghz, with 512 MB of RAM. Oh, and we use Windows XP.

Within 90 minutes I had hosted and played to completion 2 games of Majesty using the newest version of GSA (1.09, build 4325.)
The first game was the original Majesty, played against a player using Majesty: TFKS (I don't remember his name, but it was straight out of Morte d'Artur.). His ping when we started was between 6-700 ms.
The second game was a game of MajestyX, played against another user with Majesty Gold (AL was the player's name.) AL has Windows ME. AL's ping when we started was about 200 ms.
The only alteration I made on installation from the defaults was to copy the questdata and hiscores files into the proper place in the MajestyX directory.
To date, I have both hosted and joined games, to completion over 20 days, of Maj, MajX and MajG, using XP as my OS, against Maj, MajX and MajG users, using ME and XP. (I don't know what Golem and Housefish use, but count them in, too. Then again, Golem is his own special source of MP trouble...) I haven't joined a game using MajG and XP, but that's my next goal.

There's nothing particularly special about our PC. It's a cobble-job, put together by a friend, who mixes and matches components as he sees fit. We install and delete programmes contantly, and rarely update our drivers, and almost never clean the HD or run utilities. Our registries are the very definition of a mess.

While I'm not going to say, now, that XP or MajGold do not have problems, I am going to reiterate my previous guess, which seems correct, that there are no more problems with MajG than there were with getting the originals to run. Let's not forget the aches and pains we all had trying to get multiplayer to work in the first games. Emza can't even play Majesty at GSA now, and the only thing she's had changed is her version of GSA.

One thing I do like that has changed, and this is a GSA thing: before games begin, while you sit at the "waiting for other players" screen, you now can wait up to a full minute for the game to begin. However, this seems to allow all the player caches and queues to synchronise. This makes not necessarily for faster games, but far fewer games now seem to have jerky play.

Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2002 1:40 am    Post subject: golden woes Reply with quote Back to top

Well we have completely different hardware and system specs, Steven.

I also tried MP games using Windows ME. The system I used had had no previous problems with the original games. A difference in the installs that I can note is that I did the install without the CD option. I have so much disk space I didn't feel it necessary to access gamedata from the CD. I could write it off as a bad day at GSA and perhaps it would work another time. I don't know until I try and I haven't had an opportunity.

I could also try re-installing it on the DELL which runs XP. I had uninstalled it from there because Jay had asked me to check out Majesty Quest play for Gold and I had so many problems with the freezes I couldn't complete even some of the simplest Quests like Forsaken Lands. So I decided to concentrate on how it plays on ME which seemed to work better (at least for Quest play).

So, I was just trying to figure out if the problems were Windows related, driver related, or Gold related. I had a strong suspicion it was Gold because my original games had worked fine. But maybe that isn't it. I am so confused now I don't know what to think.

Goldy

P.S. OK. I re-installed Gold on both my machines and will try testing with them again. I successfully created and played an MP game of Majesty:FKS(Gold) with someone this evening on my Compaq running ME. I have no idea which version of the game he had. The first time after a verrrrrrrrrry long wait he came into the options screen and then dropped while I was adjusting game settings. The second time we played a friendly eliminate all foes game on the Eldritch Circles map. That too took a verrrrrrrrry long time for the game to synch up but did play to completion. His ping did not look good from my perspective I have no idea how mine looked to him. The wait for him to get into the game was far longer than I would ordinarily have waited (I wish I had clocked it). I would not be surprised if a lot of people give up early. Again this was only one time. Need more opportunities to try it. No one was in the MajX room at the time and I haven't tried on my DELL yet. I wonder if I can play myself through GSA?????

[ 16 March 2002, 03:09 AM: Message edited by: Goldy_Bear ]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Multiplayer Majesty All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: