Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index Cyberlore Majesty Forum
Original Majesty Forum on Cyberlore.com

I like Monks again!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Multiplayer Majesty
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2001 2:09 pm    Post subject: I like Monks again! Reply with quote Back to top

Kit was kind enough to play and beat me and Dragon the other night.

Kit went with Krypta (which is not a given these days I understand). Dragon used Dwarves and Paladins. And I decided to go for a change and use Monks and Solarii. Monks aquit themselves VERY well and were actually my frontline offense for most of the game. Once I got my Solarii and Rogues in for backup I was able to take out Kit's Fervus Temple and came within a few hitpoints of taking down his Wizard Guild.

I later hear that Dragon has been defeated and had no clue that Kit was destroying Dragon's Kingdom while fending off "Goldy the Gnat" . Kit really does outclass everyone, and is always a gentleman about it.

I stand by my Monks though. They did very well.

Goldy

------------------
I never met a Ranger I didn't like.....

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Golem XV

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2001 3:41 pm    Post subject: I like Monks again! Reply with quote Back to top

yup kit is a gentleman about it to he never does anything when he repeatedly crushes me so when i do beat him i try not to say anything

------------------
The King of Typos and Streamofconciousness is here

[This message has been edited by Golem XV (edited 15 May 2001).]

Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2001 5:35 pm    Post subject: I like Monks again! Reply with quote Back to top

Golem,

I think I know what you just said. That is scary.

Goldy

------------------

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Golem XV

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2001 6:07 pm    Post subject: I like Monks again! Reply with quote Back to top

heh ok its fixed now i know what i meant

ahhh stupid streamofconsciencness it must be Pony's fault

------------------
The King of Typos and Streamofconciousness is here

housefish

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2001 6:32 pm    Post subject: I like Monks again! Reply with quote Back to top

Monks?!?!?!? are you crazy?? try the monk strat against helia... you can't win. Not that i'm against monks, but they got left out when CL was making the heroes better and now have less critical hits then they had before. Until the monk gets a nice mental attack, or roundhouse punch they cannot compete.

Kit5150

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2001 7:01 pm    Post subject: I like Monks again! Reply with quote Back to top

thx for the compliments...the one thing that has always kept me so addicted to this game is the friendly faces i see both on the forum and in GSA. this really is a unique community.

as far as the monks go, i am totally dumbfounded as to why they are so powerful in single player, yet easy pickings, even at level 7+ in multiplayer.

i suppose it is a function of the better foes they face, their lack of an area effect ability, and the fact they dont buy healing potions.

even when i used a monk strat on eldritch circles to get them all level 7+ before any enemy sightings, they lost badly to comparable numbers of lower level solarii as soon as the daemonwoods were cleared.

Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2001 8:17 pm    Post subject: I like Monks again! Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by housefish:
Monks?!?!?!? are you crazy?? try the monk strat against helia... you can't win. .....

All right. This is what I think, Fish. I understand that you disagree with me and I am not interested in arguing. But you need to look at Kit's post to learn how to politely disagree. You don't need to be rude to me to disagree.

And quite frankly I don't know what "the monk strat" is. I just made some observations about a game I recently played.

Goldy

------------------

[This message has been edited by Goldy_Bear (edited 15 May 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Goldy_Bear (edited 15 May 2001).]

housefish

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2001 9:04 pm    Post subject: I like Monks again! Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry Goldy I didn't like that monks got the short end of the stick and so i decided to argue over it. The monk strat is using monks and no pallys.

sorry Goldy if i seemed rude, and mean

Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2001 9:37 pm    Post subject: I like Monks again! Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, thank you for the apology Fish. If you read what I posted you will note that I used Solarii. I decided to spend the gold on Solarii instead of Paladins. The monks held up against Priestesses and dwarfs and in fact killed several of Kit's Solarii. Kit is right he did eventually eliminate my Monks but they did A LOT of damage beforehand.

Kit is usually right about most stuff, but I didn't get the sense I lost because Solarii are better. I lost because Kit is better with economy and always has superior numbers. At least that is my take on what happened.

Goldy

------------------

Minrhael

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2001 3:00 am    Post subject: I like Monks again! Reply with quote Back to top

Just have to chime in and say that monks are still my favorite unit all-around, with a close nod to the dwarves. Probably because they don't need much babysitting once I get 'em up a couple levels.

As for why monks are so much better in single- than they are in multi- player games, I seem to remember reading somewhere that the dodge/parry cap was made significantly lower, and if I remember right, this cap change only applied in multiplayer, maybe even only LPS? Combine this with no healing potions and you've got a unit that suddenly is not the defensive force that it is when playing single player.

I'm not certain about this...but I seem to remember it, so some version of it is probably true, and as anyone who knows me knows, I'm far too lazy to look it up just to be exact

Anyway, at least they let the monks buy stuff from the Bazaar so I can get some little money from 'em, now how 'bout healing potions? WoDs and Barbs buy 'em now, I think it's only fair that monks should too.

Goldy_Bear

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2001 6:38 am    Post subject: I like Monks again! Reply with quote Back to top

Ok. This is probably why I will never be very good at this game, but I don't spend much time studying stats. All this talk of critical hits, docge and parry, etc......

I just play and see what works. It is true that winning is fun. But I find that this game is so entertaining, losing can be a hoot, if you have the right attitude. If I can be in there at least and put forth a challenge I feel I have had a good game.

Goldy

------------------

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberlore Majesty Forum Forum Index -> Multiplayer Majesty All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: